Thursday, June 10, 2004

"Shake That Thing" & Update

Aloha!  :)   Today, along with my DS, and members of my group, I attended the local Salvation Army's Luncheon put on by the Women's Auxiliary.  They invited various groups -- crocheters, knitters, quilters, and so on -- that helped them reach out to our local community last year and aid some 500 local families.   They did a wonderful job with this luncheon! 

They had a "tropical" theme, and had a group of Polynesian dancers come dance for us.  Did I say that I got called up with some other ladies to dance with them?  I felt like I had two left feet with branches for arms; I was laughing so hard that I was always a step or two behind. (oh who am I kidding -- I couldn't shake my hips and keep up at all!  LOL) ... afterwards they said that we're now "Certified Polynesian Dancers."  So I'll be adding that to my resume  (heh heh heh)  

The food was great, and then they presented each group with a framed certificate detailing their gratitude for the donations they received.  My group, The Happily Hooked on Crocheting Club, was honored for the many, many hats, mittens, scarves, and New Toys we donated. (There was even a crochet sighting, as the dancers skirts all had crochet around the waist line!)   

There were many people there, and one even approached me to inquire where I got my "I (heart) to Crochet" rhinestone pin I was wearing.  Nice group of people. Nice time had by all!  

A progress report on the ring bearer's pillow:  Man, as much as I love  to crochet, I do not enjoy doing granny squares.  Even though I only intend on doing one for the bottom of the pillow, it seems to  be dragging on & on.  It does look pretty, don't get me wrong.  And I know people LOVE granny squares.  It's just not my favorite thing to create.  I have about 2 1/2" in width to go (or about 10-15 million more rows, which ever comes first -- an exaggeration yes, but this is the feeling I get with creating granny squares and I don't really know why).  

Now this has me thinking about the top section of the pillow, and I'm thinking that I'd like to do this in filet crochet spelling out the groom's and bride's name -- to make it a real keepsake.  I'll have to start graphing that out.  Perhaps this is something I can do in the parking lot tomorrow afternoon as I await for my DD to get out of school. 

If I opt not to do the filet, then I'm thinking (gulp) to granny square it to make it match the bottom.  But I think I'd make a long chain and skip the first zillion rows or so, and just make it so that it's a few inches wide.  This, I think would frame the pretty satin fabric, and I can then have the rings centered in the middle.   Hmmm... we'll just have to wait until I get this first granny square done.  

How many more days do I have?  Hmmmm.  Nine.  Nine days.  

Until next time, Aloha!

No comments: