Wednesday, June 23, 2004

SpotLight: Beverly Sills

 

  Spotlight on Beverly Sills

 

For years now, I've had a quote of Beverly Sills on my resumé.  Why?  Because I liked it so much that decided to adopt it and try to live by it.  She said,

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.

Has the quote ever done anything for my searching for employment?  Yes ... I actually had an employer inquire about who she is (click on her name above next to the spot light if you're currious) and how it relates.  Yes, I got that job!

Now, we can apply this fantastic quote to our Crocheting as well:

  • How will we know if we'll like crocheting unless we try it?
  • How will we know which crochet hook we'll like best unless we try it?
  • How will we know which yarn or thread we like best unless we try it?
  • How will we know which crochet technique is our favorite unless we try it? 
  • How will we know how to read a pattern unless we try it?
  • How will we ever write a pattern unless we try it?
  • How will we ever teach crocheting to another unless we try it?
  • Now I am sure you can come up with other examples of how this quote can fit into your life as well.  The key to this quote is to try.  It is to try it and educate yourself on how you feel and think about it regardless of age, gender, or income.  The key is to try!

    I hope there's a "Beverly Sills" out there that inspires you too ... if so, please share!  The person does not need to be a crocheter (I have no idea if Beverly does or not) -- it just needs to be someone that inspires you to reach for more be it in your crocheting, your personal or professional life.  I'd love to hear from you! :)

    In closing for today, I'd like to leave you with another one of her great quotes to ponder about:

    I really do believe I can accomplish a great deal with a big grin, I know some people find that disconcerting, but that doesn't matter ~Beverly Sills

    No comments: