Monday, June 20, 2005

Book Review: Finger 1 Knitting

A while ago I stated that I had received some new books and promised to give a review.  Today I'm upholding that promise by reviewing the book, "Finger 1 Knitting" by Katsuno Suzuki. (the link here will lead you to the Amazon site, which is where I ordered the book from).

First, let me state that the book was originally published in Japan. Across the pond, as the saying goes, the word "knit" means more than just the act of knitting -- it includes other fiber arts as well. I think if the title were changed to reflect that it's really a book about what I call "finger weaving" and about crocheting with your fingers, then we all would have heard about this book MUCH sooner!!

The book is packed with actual pictures of adult and children hands enjoying both techniques. There are quite a number of projects to try, and in fact, I had my daughter help me with the bag I designed with the fiber I dyed with KoolAid the other day ... she enjoyed "finger weaving" the purse strap for me. (You can see a hint of the finger weaving in the picture of my purse here...)  Since her fingers are much slimmer than mine, I thought it made for a beautiful strap!  (I also love the way the colors worked up; do you?)

If you're looking for a book that will help you get a child interested in the fiber arts, then this book is a must have!  The instructions included in the book are for: hats, scarves, afghans, shawls -- really a lot of fun projects and all that's needed is a skein of yarn.

I'm glad I took the risk and tried this "knit" book; I'm sure you will too!  :)
Tags: , ,

No comments: