Saturday, May 7, 2005

Thoughts of Motherhood


Here it is, the official start of Mother's Day Weekend.  As I sit here typing out my thoughts at my kitchen table my children are having a rapid fire conversation with their Dad.  As I watch this exchange I wonder, "How on earth did they learn to talk so fast?  Geesh!  They're growing quickly!"

      The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom
                                                                      -Henry Ward Beecher 

There's giggles and grins as they make plans on how we'll be celebrating this weekend.  It seems that they're talking in code about presents they made in school, and are sharing little whispers on when they'll present them to me.  I continue my typing, pretending not to listen; being a sponge to absorb this moment, recording it deep in my mind.  I smile inside; I feel their excitement in planning to surprise me.  Soon enough, in the blink of an eye, they'll be grown, leaving the nest.  For now, I want to remember the sound of their young voices, the giggles, the grins.  I want to absorb every precious moment!

     The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.
                                                                                -Oprah Winfrey


We've decided to forgo the traditional "Mother's Day Dinner Out" and have opted that we should invest the money we would have spent for an outdoor swing.  I think the swing will help create more special moments with my children ... from it being a place for them to read to me, to share special secrets, looking for butterflies or fireflies, to just watching them grow  (and yes, have it a place for me to do my crochet projects outside!).  We'll be going out later today to pick the swing up.  I'll be bringing my crochet with me to keep me occupied as I pretend to be surprised with the gift.  :)

     Like a treasured afghan, let the little moments of life wrap your heart with warmth and memories that lasts a lifetime.
                                                                                -Dee Stanziano

No comments: