Sunday, January 30, 2005

Q's & A's

I had pre-typed an entry for today and decided to "shelf" it for a later time as it pertained to me coming up with a creative idea to solve a problem (crochet related).  I decided to shelf it until I can tinker with it a bit more, get it the way I want, and then submit it for possible publication.  

I can see the results clearly ... in person (as I worked through the night, into the morning, to create a "rough version") and again I can see it in my mind as a revised item.   It's a matter of finishing a present crochet project that's currently on my hook  -- I'm crocheting some hats for a friend who's father is being treated for cancer. 

In the meantime, this the topic of "professional crocheter" keeps popping up on various lists, and in private emails to me, so I thought I'd share my thoughts a bit:

1.  How did you break into being published?
       I received a phone call from a book publisher who was told of my work.  She wanted to see a sample so I gave her my website address and told her to look at the (not so great) picture of the Sweet Baby Afghan Sampler I had won a Blue Ribbon for.  She was hooked and published the design for my afghan in the book "Blue Ribbon Afghans from America's State Fairs: 40 Prize-Winning Crocheted Designs"

2.  When can you consider yourself a professional designer?
     I was advised that once your first piece is sold, you're now a professional designer.  But I think that the key here is to not be a "one hit wonder."  That's why I enjoy being a member of the CGOA Professionals group -- you can learn so much there!

3.  How much are you paid per design?
     As I understand it, the pay scale depends upon the publication, the design, and how well established you are in the design world.  I'm still learning about this and have noticed an increase from the pay forthe first piece that I had published to the second piece which is in progress.

4.  Where do you get your inspiration from?
       I get it from an overactive imagination.  I see a fiber and let it "speak to me" or I'll see a problem and try to resolve it with something crochet related.


5.  How long have you been crocheting?
       It seems like I have been crocheting f-o-r-e-v-e-r since I've had a hook in my hand since I was a young child.  Perhaps one of these days I'll surprise all of you with an image of one of my very first original designs.  I call it "Herbie."  Sorry, no hints!  You'll just have to wait until I recreate it ... I have a fiber calling to me saying, "Dee, work me up into a 'Herbie!"

6.  Dee, what's a "Herbie."
       Ah, come on you guys, I said no hints.  LOL

7.  Just one hint, Dee?
       OK.  Thanks to the arm twisting, I'll give one hint.  It was named after the movie "Herbie, the Love Bug" but it has nothing to do with the movie or it's contents.  I just liked the movie. 

Have a great day crocheting everyone!  :) 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwww, c'mon!!!!!!  LOL!  Thanks for this entry.  I wondered about some of the questions myself.  Hugs, Sheila