Wednesday, March 2, 2005

Crochet takes Dee's frustrations away...

We were hit with just shy of 11 inches of snow, then received another two after my children and I put the shovels away yesterday.  Since my road is not maintained by the town, that meant having to wait until our private plower arrived to do the job.  Unfortunately, this meant I had to cancel my crochet classes yesterday.

The snow we shoveled wasn't light and fluffy like the night before where my first two shoveling experiences were a breeze.  No, this time it had mixed with a touch of sleet making it quite heavy.  My back does hurt, and this may mean I need to go in for a little maintenance.  I'm taking it easy and won't be lifting another shovel for a while.

On the same frustration level, on both computers, I am having difficulties in getting access to edit my website.  When I wasn't shoveling yesterday, I was online with AOL, or reading AOL message boards for clues as to why this is.  I'm still mystified, still frustrated.

Thankfully, I have my crochet to turn to.  I love that it relaxes me.  I decided to start a basic scarf to be donated next winter.  I'm utilizing the fact that it's National Crochet Month and will be doing something that will help keep someone a bit warmer.  If you'd like to join me, here's the pattern I'm using:

            Dee's Basic Scarf:

Materials:
        1 8oz skein of worsted/4 ply yarn
(on the CYCA's Standard Yarn Weight System, it's known as a "4-medium weight" yarn)
       Size I hook  (I used a Graydog hook, you can find them on ebay)
       Cup of Coffee
       Remote Control to TV
       Comfy spot on the couch

Instructions:
Chain 19
Row 1: Hdc in 3rd ch from hook; ch 2, turn.  (17 sts)
Row 2: Hdc in 1st st and in each st across, ch 2, turn.  (17 sts)

Repeat Row 2 to desired length.  Sip coffee at leisure; listen to TV program.  Impress children by making stitches with eyes closed.  Finish off.


See how easy?  It's one of those scarves that just flies; that lets you fall into a soothing, relaxing rhythm.  Ahhh.  I have about half the length I want done, and will probably finish it off later today while doing lunch duty at the kids' school -- IF I  can get them to school.  Hmmm.  Ninety minute delay vs. my road.  Plus more snow is in the forecast for today.  Good thing I have a well developed stash.  I'm going to be crocheting for a while!  ;)

No comments: