Thursday, July 8, 2004

Lighting my Candle at Both Ends

I was out late last night with the other hookers doing our Coffee, Crochet & Chat session at Borders.  While there, we worked on the "starters" (13 chains, turn, 12 sc across, for a total of four rows) that will be handed out at the Knit Out and Crochet Too event taking place in NYC come October 3rd.  (Yes, I'll be there on that date, and you can come & meet me and other crocheters and knitters too!  I'll give more details on this as the date gets closer.)

 While I was at Borders, eating my dinner of Carrot Cake with an apple juice, I flipped through Lily Chin's new book, "Knit and Crochet with Beads," and through Pauline Turner's new book, "Crochet Lace." 

Lily's book is packed with inspiring designs for both knitters and crocheters.  Pauline's is too.  Oh, which to choose?  Since I had already spent nearly a zillion dollars on beads and findings yesterday, I knew I couldn't go home with both.  One book would have to wait for another day. 

So I leafed through them again, and opted for Pauline's book.  I did so because her book has more information on technique ... and that's something I can learn from.  A good example is right in the beginning of the book where she starts talking about three different chains you can use to start your work.  Three different chains?  Yep, I said that too.

I bet you're wondering if I tackled the wire & bead earrings again, right?  Yes, I did.  I used a 28 gauge wire and some seed beads and got two earrings done ... I just need to put them on wire hooks now.  I did try with some sterling silver, but did not have enough wire.  Someone emailed me a link for the website www.myrontoback.com --  saying they have the silver reasonably priced.  I'll be investigating this after the Conference.

Today I'll be lucky to squeeze in any crocheting at all.  I've created a "To Do" list in order to prepare for the Conference, and that list is two pages long.   ...hmmm, I still have the ever-stretching hat issue to address too...

I guess I best get that candle out and light both ends...  J

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee,

First off, I want to congratulate you for making Hobby Talk.  You really deserve it.   I have heard of crocheting with chains, but I have never tired it.

I hope you don't mind I also mentioned you in my journal.  Here is my link again:

http://edit.journals.aol.com/ginskia/whatdescribesanitaasanitaasanind

I plan to get back into crafts at least part time.

Anita