Friday, July 2, 2004

Historical Tea Party

Once again, John Scalzi asks those of us in AOL Journal Land to do an assignment; this one in honor of America's birthday, the 4th of July.  Our assignment is to state which of the Founding Fathers you'd want to hang out and have a beer with and why.  We could include any President in the assignment, and/or any famous American in history.  (Dude, I like this assignment!) 

As I share my picks, if you're not familiar with my various reference points, please feel free to click onto the links and learn more about American History.  J

Well, since I don't drink beer, I opted to change it to tea; Long Island Iced Tea, that is.  And since tea has a place in American History (Boston Tea Party), I thought it only fitting.

If you've visited my Famous Crocheters webpage, then you already know that the first President I'd invite would be a no brainer ...  yes, it would be James Buchanan, our President from 1857-1861.  Yes, because he was a crocheter!!  (To learn about his presidency, click onto his picture to the right)

The second that I'd invite, would be another President that dabbled with fiber ... and he was a very popular President, based on the history text, having served four terms   Who was it? ... It was Franklin D. Roosevelt, who served as our President from 1933 to 1945.  (Click onto his image to learn more about his Presidency) ...Now even though Roosevelt was not a crocheter, he did enjoy the art of fiber -- he was a Knitter!

I think I'd also extend the invitation to our most humanitarian President, Jimmy Carter; to the Inventor George Washington Carver, and to Football great, Rosy Greer. 

While we're crocheting or knitting, and sipping on our spiked tea (we'll have to get James to loosen up a bit as history reportedly has him as a rather "stiff and proper" fellow), I'd love to have the conversation stem on how the fiber arts have served in American history, and their take on why fiber art was perceived as "feminine" (although thankfully, this perception is rapidly changing!).   Our conversation would include who introduced them to the art form, how it did or did not help them with their stress, and how it effected the American economy (cotton farms, manufacturering and so on), to aiding those serving our Country.

Serving our Country?  Absolutely.  There were actual pattern books printed to help the many, many women, children, and perhaps men, to crochet or knit needed hats, scarves, hospital slippers, blankets and such all to aid our soldiers.  And this continues today too...

**Note: I don't know if President Jimmy Carter knits or crochets, but anyone that goes out there and builds houses for the homeless is alright in my book!  I'm sure he'd be able to contribute to the conversation as most knitters & crocheters give from the heart too.  J

So now it's your turn; fiber-listically and historically speaking, who would you invite?

No comments: