Sunday, December 2, 2007

Winter Crochetland

Tree shopping yesterday proved to be most chippy!  The cold-front from Canada was well on it's way to Connecticut, but that didn't dampen our spirits; we picked out an adorable tree!  (to the left you can see Mini~Dee and Dee Jr. hauling it down the hillside.)

I did wear one of my older crocheted hats I designed a few years ago, but I would have liked it more if it had matched better.   In the end, it didn't matter.  I eventually pulled my jacket & coat hoods up and was still feeling the freezing cold winds!  So now I'm thinking when it comes time for me to crochet a new hat for ME, that perhaps I should think about creating one as a "double" hat as I did for my son some time ago ...


Since there is no deadline for it, I do have time to think about it.   :)

                                                 *  *  *

So this morning we awoke to find about an inch of SNOW on the ground; we were so excited!  I call that Perfect Crochet Weather!   It was very pretty to look at and we're expecting more tonight.  

And, speaking of snow, check out the little crocheted ornament I purchased while at the tree farm yesterday ... I bought it to use as a pattern template.  Have you ever done that?  ... purchased an item so you can recreate it?  (They only had the one else I would have bought more.)  I'm thinking it would look pretty attached to gift tags. 

Long ago, before there were written patterns, crocheters would create motifs and then attach them to pages in fabric books for later reference.  Sometimes you can find these books of yesteryear on ebay or read about them in magazines like PieceWork.  If memory serves me correctly, they have one pictured in Donna Kooler's "encyclopedia of crochet."   I think of the books as a pretty cool part of crochet history (and yes, I do want to own one someday!).

No comments: