Thursday, August 19, 2004

Surf's Up

Last night my dear husband and I were discussing if it's time to get rid of our second line that we use for surfing the Internet.  My position was, we could save $25 dollars every month, and in a year that adds up to $300 -- and of course I've been thinking of ways to "invest" that money to further my crochet enthusiasm.

But as Lady Luck would have it, she left our house this morning and let Murphy in.  Yes, my DSL connection is down, and I'm using the second line for my Internet connection at a baud rate that is so prehistoric.  I guess this means I'll have to put my fiber dreams down for just a bit longer and keep the second line until we can figure out why the DSL connection is so unreliable.  Hopefully though, Lady Luck will return and stay with me -- at least through the weekend as I've decided to enter some items for Judging this weekend.  (Since Murphy is here, I'm going to opt not to say what I'm entering lest he do something extreme like spill his coffee on my entries or send an attack squad of butterflies to carry items off and hide them.)

Speaking of luck, or the lack of, my vehicle's access remote died on me yesterday.  I was sitting at the local grocery store in the middle of the day, dying of heat when it took some 10 minutes for it to have enough juice to let me start the engine.  Fortunately it was only 10 minutes, or else we would have had ice cream for dinner last night.

My point in bringing this up, is that my backup remote (which was at home yesterday) is broken too.  It works -- it's just the little do-hickey that allows it to hang on a keychain that's broken.  So, I'm now toying with the idea of crocheting a little "pocket" for it so I can use this remote as we try to figure out what happened to the other remote.  I'm thinking the braided wire I mentioned the other day would be an excellent material to create this "pocket" with as it should hold up to wear & tear.  Anyway, this will be my "job" today as I prepare to put my items for the judging together and deliver at the fair grounds tonight.

And getting back to the subject of surfing, one last thought I'd like to share is a new movie review that states the movie Surf's Up  will "...be an animated mockumentary taking audiences behind the scenes of that seminal sporting event: The Penguin World Surfing Championship. Destined to possess the thrills and spills of the Olympics, the World Cup and the International Crocheting Championship combined..."

You can read the review entirely by going to
http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/news/NewsStory.asp?news_id=16098
   
Of course, if they could actually get the penguin to crochet in a
championship (on or off a surf board) -- NOW that would be a movie to see!   J

 

Character References:
Dear Husband:  himself; a great guy, really!!

Lady Luck:  sounds better than having a rabbit's foot -- and you never know, she might be a crocheter too!
Murphy:  As in Murphy's Law "If anything can go wrong, it will." 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Verizon's always been incredibly nice about fixing problems in the New England area.  Dunno who your DSL provider is, though.  One woman I know felt it was worth the lack of hassle to pay the exhorbitant amounts for cable modem.  It's not noticeably slower than DSL but once set up, there doesn't seem to be a problem.  However, it's a cable company... so it's evilly priced.