Friday, February 18, 2005

"One Yarn" gets rave by young Art Critic

Yesterday I wrote about Bonnie Pierce winning the Award for "Crocheter of the Year," but I forgot to mention the crochet work I did on Wednesday night that was inspired by her!  

One of her works she posted about was a "monotone" freeform piece -- it's a style of crochet that has many directions, stitches and such but all done in one color... one yarn.  So I decided to give this a try for myself and see what I could come up with.  I first grabbed a variegated skein of yarn and set to work.  Yuck.  I hated it.  Yes, those are strong words to use to describe one's work, but when you don't like it, there's only one thing to do.  Yes, I "frogged" it.   

Then I went into my little "snow bag" of goodies (if you've been a regular reader of my journal here then you know that when the weather forecast is "snow," we are told to rush to our stores and stock up on staples.  I have plenty of staples, food too -- but never enough yarn! ...thus this explains my ability to find a skein of yarn perfectly waiting in a shopping bag to be created into something!! LOL).  I pulled out a red skein of plain o'yarn from this "snow stash" and then headed to the kitchen.  

I really hate hand washing dishes -- AND the recyclables.  But tonight I was glad.  I KNEW what was there, in the clean recyclables, screaming to be turned into something wonderful.  It was the container to the icing I used for the cupcakes I baked for the school bake sale.  Yes, I decided I'd create freeform and cover this container to create a pencil/pen holder.  

So, with "F" hook and yarn in hand, I set to work.  I first crocheted a flat circle to cover the bottom of the container, and then started working on the sides.  I used a variety of stitches (bullions, crunches, shells, clones knots, Tunisian, post stitches) and even a few flowers.  In the end it turned into a "piece of art" that my 6-year old son claims has an "eye and ear."  "Look," he said as he held my creation in his hands, "you can feel, see, and hear about crochet, and in the end it turns into something pretty like the flowers you added."  Ah!  With an Art Critic like him, how can I possibly go wrong???  

Sorry, no pictures at this time -- I'm returning the new digital camera.  The camera is a piece of, well, um, to say it nicely, garbage.  We'll have to wait until I get something of a higher quality.  In the meantime, you can check out Bonnie's "one yarn" freeform piece by clicking here.  Cool, huh?    J

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool!  She has some very interesting pictures there!  Sorry to hear about the camera but hope you are able to get a replacement soon!  Take care, Sheila