Thursday, October 7, 2004

Contraband Inspires!


I was picking my children up from school when my daughter whipped out a crochet hook and small bundle of yarn from her uniform pocket.

I wondered, "Did I see that right? Did she sneak crochet into school?" I looked at her with a puzzled look.

"What," she asked.

"Where did you get that hook from," I asked, "is it mine?"

"Yes," she replied. She had this look upon her face as though she was going to be in trouble -- major trouble.

"Is that so," I said, "and what were you doing with it at school?"

"Some of my friends asked me if I could teach them.  They said they liked watching you do it when you come to our class for lunch duty, so I brought two hooks to school.  CJ has one and he will give it to me to me on Tuesday," she said timidly.

"When did you have time to teach your friends," I inquired.

"During recess," she replied.

I turned to move an item in the vehicle and when I turned back around, one of her little friends was standing next to her, smiling proudly, and holding a crocheted chain high in the air for me to inspect.

I smiled. I told Kelly she did a great job!

"I learned how to crochet today," Kelly exclaimed.

"You sure did!" I smiled at her and then shifted my glaze over to my daughter and said, "and you must have had a great teacher!"

My daughter smiled proudly but still had that I'm in trouble look upon her face.

Kelly ran off to be with her Mom, pleased with her accomplishment today. And rightfully so.

I turned to my daughter and said, "I wish you would have told me you were taking crochet into school. You know our rule about letting me know about what you're bringing."

"Yes," she said softly, "I know."

"I wish you would have told me," I repeated then added, "because I would have found more hooks for you to bring in and put together little balls of yarn too."

She smiled at me. "Really," she asked.

"Yes," I said. "Perhaps it's something we can work on later tonight after your homework is done.

And with that her smile grew. Who knew she'd be teaching the second grade class how to crochet!?!!  I'm proud that she wants to share it with her friends. 
J

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious - do they allow crochet & hooks in school or is that a "Mom" rule?  I think that is awesome that she is teaching crochet and in 2nd grade at that!  And I think you are super for the way you told her you'd have given her some yarn and hooks after she thought she was in deep trouble!  You are too much, Dee.  LOL!  I can see it now, "Kids Teaching Kids" - an after school crochet class....Keep us updated - Sheila

Anonymous said...

OMg...roflmbo...thanks for sharing this.  I love how you handled the situation.  Poor kid...she must have been terrified...lol.

Anonymous said...

awww that is just too cute! Good for her teaching her classmates :)