Monday, October 4, 2004

2004 CYCA KOC2 in NYC

What a weekend!!

I spent Saturday "constructing" with my husband and kids.  We took a bunch of pvc pipes (you know, the plastic plumbing pipes?), and the connectors and measured and cut, measured and cut, and measured and cut some more until we erected a self-supporting frame that we could hang a large sign on and also to support hanging crochet items for display.  Then, we took it apart and packed it up.

On Sunday, it was an early rise as six members of the HHCC and I commuted to NYC together.  We arrived around 9:30 in the morning and set to putting up our table.  The morning air was crisp, but the sun was shining, so we knew the day was going to be great.



Our first inclination that there'd be more people attending than last year, was when our table started getting crowded well before 11 AM (see middle image)-- and the event didn't start until Noon!!  Last year it was reported that some 20,000 people attended; I won't be surprised if this year the numbers are doubled, or even tripled!

I got to meet many wonderful people -- some showing off their beautiful creations; some admiring the poncho and hat I was wearing; some introduced themselves from online groups we enjoy.  Being recognized as "Dee of CrochetWithDee" was really thrilling for me -- I'm honored that many of you sought me out and introduced yourselves!  :)

The vendors were great too!  They handed out free knitting needles, crochet hooks, yarn, magazines, patterns -- nothing was for sale, so it was all done for free!

There were magazine editors there, and designers such as Lily Chin, Melissa Leapman, and Judy Swartz (I ran across the street to B&N and quickly purchased Judy's new book, Hip to Crochet: 23 Contemporary Projects for Today's Crocheter, and then had her sign it.  What a treat!)

The only unfortunate part was that my demo partner, Grace, got sick.  She was so sick, she couldn't do the demonstration.  So one of the HHCC members, Celeste, volunteered to assist me.  I put 50 copies of a brand new pattern I wrote on the table for participants to take.  Within a minute they were all gone.  (Don't despair!  Just as soon as I have a bit of free time, I'll post it on my website, www.CrochetWithDee.com).  The demo was a lot of fun to do, and I'm looking forward to doing another next year!

If you'd like to attend a Craft Yarn Council of America's "Knit Out & Crochet Too!" event, just visit their website to learn more!  You can go just to have fun, or you can help to organize your own Knit Out & Crochet Too! event!

 

Check out the video the NYCCG put together of ABC news promoting the event!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds and looks like so much FUN! I wish there was one near me.

Lahoma

Anonymous said...

You are making me homesick...I love Washington Square Park...they used to set up art shows all the time...we would go...loved it...look like you had alot of fun..Sandi...http://journals.aol.com/sdoscher458/LifeIsFullOfSurprises