Saturday, October 9, 2004

"Blindfolded, behind her back, and between her legs!"

Waking up at 5:00 AM is brutal.  My hat is off to those of you who do this on a daily basis.  So while I'm trying to get my bearings from being up so early to prepare for going to Stitches East today, I thought I'd leave you with this tidbit of news I received yesterday.  It's written by Mary Colucci of the Craft Yarn Council of America:

Lily Chin just called me from the Knitting and Stitching Show at Alexandra Palace, London, to announce that she has again won the title of the World's Fastest Crocheter, defending her title against Susan Briscoe from the U.K. Her final score was 86 double crochets in three minutes to Briscoe's 63.

The two also competed in 2002 in New York City. Though slightly below her 2002 winning total, which was 92 1/2 double crochets in three minutes, Lily was very pleased with her winning numbers because the yarn selected for the competition was very slippery and difficult to work with.

You will not be surprised to learn that Lily could not resist a little showboating at yesterday's press conference--crocheting blindfolded, behind her back, and between her legs! I should also mention she wore her cowgirl outfit, complete with holster for her crochet hooks. The U.K. may never be the same!

She has been interviewed by Woman's Weekly magazine, the U.K.'s leading women's shelter publication, a publication from Sweden and was off to do a radio interview right after we spoke.

Congratulations Lily!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh wow that is awesome!