Saturday, March 5, 2005

Butterflies

 I took my daughter to her dress fitting appointment today, and finished crocheting my daughter's First Communion Cape in record time -- and that includes taking the time to sew on some beads!  My husband just loves it and said if I don't enter it into a contest this upcoming summer, then he'll never forgive me.  He thinks it will ribbon well.  (I love when he compliments my work like this!!)  She loves it too.  Since I did finish it so quickly, I'm now at a point where I can think about what project I should tackle next.  Could it possibly be the freeform sweater I started for her so long ago?  I'll have to ponder that.

In the meantime, getting back to the upcoming First Communion for my daughter, today we're working on her butterfly.  The butterfly will be used in an upcoming Mass as part of the process of her taking her sacriment. The butterfly is huge -- about 1 1/2 feet by 1 3/4 feet.  I cut the butterfly out of foam board and together we covered it with a purple-flower fabric.  Then we grabbed the bag of various types of yarn I had received in a class I had taken at the 2004 CGOA Conference and found some wonderful treats that matched the fabric.

Once she decided upon a yarn fiber for the body of the butterfly, she chained the desired length and then she learned the half-double crochet!  She did really great with this stitch, especially when factored in that it's a textured yarn!  Currently she's sitting here beside me crocheting single crochet stitches completely around the row of half-doubles, and is talking about what other possibilities she can add to her butterfly.  I love that she enjoys being so creative, and that she's really taking to crochet as passionately as I did when I was a child. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see pics!  Hint, hint, hint!!!  Sheila

Anonymous said...

Geez.. I'm an adult and I've got some of that 'fuzzy' yarn I bought to try making some of those flipflops, and _I_ have trouble with it! Kudos to your little one! I'm sure she is going to be just as talented as her mother!
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind