Sunday, December 12, 2004

A Million Stitches -- Now, or Later

When I teach a class of 'newbies' to crochet, I recommend that they practice.  Practice, practice, practice.  This will help in reinforcing the stitches and techniques learned in class, as well as help with tension issues.  One day, while teaching at Knit Together, John, the store owner said, "They can do their million stitches now and become good at it quickly, or do the million stitches later, over a long length of time to become good at it eventually."  Meaning it's up to the person to decide on when they become good at it.  (secretly, I think it was a major hint to my lack of practicing my knitting.  LOL)

On the road to practicing, I recommend that my students consider crocheting a scarf to donate to a worthy cause, or even 6" X 9" squares to donate to the Warm Up America campaign.  Since the items don't need to be exactly perfect, it's a win-win situation.  The student gets the well needed practice, and someone in need benefits from the donation.

While visiting the Craft Yarn Council of America's website, I found that a lady near "my neck of the woods" has been doing just that with a group of Elementary School Children.  Check it out: Waterbury, CT: Crosby High School Knitters

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a good idea!! The student gets practice, and someone benefits from it...
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind

Anonymous said...

Discussions of knitting AGAIN?!?!  Dee, you're disappointing me!  Cast off those knitting needles and pick up the hook!

I'm glad that they taught those kids something useful with their knitting.  I remember my first knitting class.  It was when I was in elementary school - an after school class that mom signed me and my sister up for.  It was held in the library.  We bought yarn - I chose a gray one and my sister a red-white-blue variegated that we declared instantly to be "cool".  We had to have No. 7 needles (gosh, I'm surprised I remember this).  They taught us to knit, they taught us to purl, all on the same swatch.  Yet, the instructor neglected to teach us one important thing - how to cast off.  On and off in my pre-crochet years, I tried to knit.  I even bought booklets to teach me how to cast off.  Then I realized that most patterns require the circular needles.  I gave up at that point.  I still have the needles - two sets in two sizes.  I still have the booklets.  They will probably end up on ebay with the needles thrown in as a "gift" to the winner.

I guess part of the reason why I'm not looking back, now that I know how to crochet is because I somehow felt cheated in my knitting experience.  There was always some obstacle in my way of furthering myself in it. - Sheila