Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Every Drop Counts

I finished reading Indigo Dying last night.  I really thought, as I was reading along, that the reporter was going to end up being the daughter of the illiterate stepsister -- but I was pleasantly surprised to have my "who-done-it" saluting skills totally surprised.  All I can tell you is to go read the book for yourself.  You'll enjoy it.  Along with information on dying fibers and the meaning of various colors, there's also recipes woven into the story line ... I'm kinda thinking about making the Cinnamon Basil Honey ... mmmmmmmmm.

I heard today that Tyne Daly is a crocheter.  I've seen a few episodes of her on the Judging Amy show and only saw her knitting.  If any of my readers see her crocheting on an episode, would you mind letting me know which episode it is?  If this can be validated then I can add her to the growing list of "Famous Crocheters."  Thanks!

I'm still quite sick; still camping on the couch.  My son is feeling OK, my daughter is starting to feel better.  Yesterday she decided to start her very first scarf.  She's using the yarn she picked out at the store, Knit Together.  The yarn she's using is called "Granada" and she's using the colors of purple, green, and a variegated that has both the purple & green along with other colors mixed in.  The fiber is ever-so-soft with just a touch of "fur" projectiles.  She's working the scarf up with single crochet stitches and is changing color every 10 rows.  She's on her 13th row and I couldn't be prouder of her!

After having enough energy to watch the late night news last night, I had my heart broken after seeing all the loss of life caused by the earthquake/tusamiami.  I couldn't help but think of my children safely sleeping in their beds while thousands others have died from this, and more may due to disease.  There is no way I can crochet thousands of items to help soothe those that have lost so much.  So I decided today that I can put off buying those sunglasses I have been slowing crocheting a case for.  And I can put off getting that well needed hair cut.  Instead, I took the money I would have spent (my Christmas money) and donated it to the Red Cross this morning.  I know it's not much, but since their philosophy is to deal "in bulk," maybe my $100 will help buy that extra food, water, or medical supplies that are needed in the eight countries effected by this.  I know, it's a drop in the bucket, but every drop adds up and eventually the bucket is filled.  If you wish to do the same, you can visit their website at www.RedCross.org and make a donation online for Disaster Relief, or you can call them at 1-800-HELP-NOW.

In the meantime, I'm going to continue to take it easy today ... and for sure I'll be giving my children extra hugs and telling them how much they mean to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I casted on last night :) lol go me! Now to learn how to single crochet....

I use to watch Judging Amy but can't remember if she crocheted on there or not.

It is awful over in Asia....my son's fellow cub scouter is originally from Sri Lanka so I am going to call his mom to make sure that their family that is still over there are okay.

Gretchen
http://livinginsavannah.blogspot.com/