Sunday, January 27, 2008

How Did You Do?

Awhile ago, in my  post from October 8, 2007,  I asked the question, How was the blue bag on the right created? Was it with Crochet, Knit, or Both?

In that original blog posting, many of you enjoyed sharing your answers with me by participating in my poll.  And, as of today, 16% of you believe it was entirely knitted, 23% believe it was entirely crocheted, and 53% believe it was created by blending the two fiber art forms together.  --And only 4% of you were not sure. 

So, who was right?  Those that voted that the little button bag was created with both forms was correct!  The body was crocheted, and the flap was knitted.  How did you do?  Were you one of the few that was unsure, or one of the 39% that was fooled?  :)

Great!  Now take a look at the two images below.  Both are hats that I just finished up late last night (although I do still need to finish writing up the patterns while it's fresh in my mind).  The hat on the left was created with Berroco's Merino Heather -- a very yummy fiber that I treated myself to at my LYS (local yarn shop) this past Friday afternoon, and the hat on the right was created with Bernat's Soy, part of their "natural" yarn line; also quite yummy to work with! 

Both of these hats, featuring the same crochet technique I used in the blue bag above, will be part of a new class workshop I am designing for the very near future. Do I need to add that I'm quite excited about this technique, and think you will be too?!! I am also shopping for a publisher who is interested in these designs as I'm sure that there are many of you out there who would love to learn this crochet technique while making a great hat that, at the same time, fools the eye as to which fiber art form it belongs to.

What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay - several entries ago you asked about crocheting in a group of knitters and wanted opinions on what to crochet (hopefully to win over the knitters!).  I thought about it and thought about it and at first I thought that it would be best to show crochet as being faster than knitting.  My reasoning being that we are a fast-paced society and people like to see quick results.  However, after seeing these GORGEOUS hats, I'm thinking that this technique might be better - to show knitters that they CAN get a comparable stitch from crocheting.  Speed in crochet is like speed in typing...the more one practices the faster one becomes.  

Hope this opinion for your former entry helps.  In the meantime, I do so hope you find a publisher for the patterns and will clue us in when they are on the market.

One thing I must ask - would you consider the technique used to be suitable for a beginner?

Love and hugs!
Sheila

Anonymous said...

PS - for some odd reason, the hat on the left makes me want to start singing "Raspberry Beret" by Prince......   :Þ

Anonymous said...

Hats are gorgeous!  Sign me up for the workshop!