Thursday, January 3, 2008

guest blog for Dee

Well, Miss Dee asked for some guest bloggers and I decided to step up to the plate or shall I say hook???


I've lately decided to try something new, well, not necessarily new, but new to me!...thread crochet!! I don't know about you, but all those teeeeny-tiiiiiny hooks and that barely there thread was very scary to me! Who in their right mind would want to work with that??? Doesnt it make your eyes hurt?? Your hands cramp?? And who has the time??? Come on!!! One simple item could take days to make!

 

But, my New Years Resolutions for 2008 was to learn some new crochet techniques. So I figured I'd give it a try since I already had lots of crochet thread on hand.

 

I thought I'd tackle some baby booties. While I was scrounging around in my bad-o-hooks looking for those tiny steel ones, I realized that if I wanted to do this right I should invest in some new hooks that you can actually read the size on! (LOL!! Most of the ones I had were old, well used, and free.) Off to Michaels I ran an invested in a new set of Susan Bates.

 

I am proud to say that my first pair was a success! Those tiny little booties are sure to put a smile on some new mommy's face! Looks like I may be making some more! They werent that bad, LOL!!  But, please, can someone tell me how to keep my yarn hand from cramping up?????

 

Jennifer J. Cirka

Jaybird Designs

www.jaybird-designs.com


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW I love your booties where did you get the pattern? I love thread crochet but it does cramp the hand doesnt it? Keep up the great work! Dee I hope your feeling better you are in my prayers! Sherri

Anonymous said...

The bootie pattern came from BOOTIES BY THE DOZEN by Kay Meadors and published through Leisure Arts. Thanks for the cooment!
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

You can purchase the comfort grips at your lys. You may also need a pair of bifocials, it helps to see the stitches more clearly.
But all you need to remember is have fun.
Mary

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, you are so brave to work with thread.  
I recently inherited a very large bag of crochet thread, and it sits here while I summon up the courage to make something with it.  

How about some flowers for hair clips?  How about some Barbie clothes?  I think that's the route I may go.  My DD still plays with them from time-to-time.  Plus, it's something you can pass down to future generations of girls.

Love the little baby booties!