Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Best Kept Local Secret?

As a child I was a huge, HUGE, fan of the Little House on the Prairie series.  I read each book published by Laura Ingalls Wilder at least three to five times each!  The pioneer life, through my child eyes and through Laura's stories, seemed exciting to me!

Then, when her stories came out as a television series -- well, let's just say I was totally hooked!  There was NO way I'd ever consider missing an episode!  Now, here in the present time, my own children like watching the shows on DVD, and reading the stories.  They know, as I do, that both Laura and Rose were crocheters too.

So, how is it then, that just this past weekend, I would discover that Laura's only child, Rose Wilder Lane, once lived, virtually, right down the road from me??  I have, countless times, unknowingly, driven by her little 3-acre farm she owned from 1938 until her death in 1968.  How is it I did not know she was a "notable" of the town of Danbury??

Since this discovery I have spent quite a lot of time researching on the Internet -- trying to locate the exact address -- wondering if her farmhouse in Danbury, Connecticut, noted to have been on King Street, still exists today -- wondering why I still don't have a copy of her needlebook,
The Women's Day Book of American Needlework, that was published in 1963?

I solved the mystery to the last question by winning an auction for a copy on ebay.  Then, earlier tonight, I purchased two more copies from amazon; these copies will be donated to my local CGOA Chapter, and to a local library.  I've also written to the Danbury Historical Society -- in hopes they have some of her needlework (crochet perhaps?) available for viewing; I'm going to keep my fingers & hooks crossed that they do.  Eventually all this information will culminate into a display our local Chapter is planning in honor of National Crochet Month.  I think this will make for a great display come this March!  

Secrets: fortunately they don't stay that way for long.   :)
Tags: , , , The Women's Day Book of American Needlework

No comments: