Monday, January 22, 2007

"And another one gone, and another one gone"

Those lyrics by Queen are stuck in my head; repeating a million times over until they spill out verbally, uncontrollably (and thus registering complaints from Dee Jr. and Mini-Dee that I'm driving them crazy) -- especially when bad news is circulated.  In this case, three crochet magazines are biting the dust:
            1.
  Simply Creative Crochet
            2.  Family Circle's "Easy Crochet"
            3.  and now I hear "Crochet Fantasy"
is joining this list.

In the knitting realm,
Knit It is also biting the dust.

How sad!  I purchased the Spring issue of "Easy Crochet" just a few days ago at my local supermarket.  As I flipped through the pages I loved the set-up, the photography, the projects -- everything about it is just fantastic!  What a shame; I wonder if a write-in campaign to Meredith Publishing, who announced the ceasing of Simply Creative Crochet and Family Circle's "Easy Crochetwould help change their minds about cancelling the publication?

I'm not familiar with
Simply Creative Crochet, but I am with
Crochet Fantasy.  Months & months ago I emailed them requesting renewal of my subscription.  I never heard back, but knew there were financial issues brought on by damages caused by Hurricane Katrina. I was rooting that the magazine would survive; I'm hoping it's fold is just a rumor.

To every rainy day, there is a silver lining. Isn't that what we're taught to look for?  Look for the positive.  So, in doing so, in looking for the positive, we should look to Inverweave Press where a write-in campaign did wonders! 
Interweave Press has decided to expand Interweave Crochet from being just a "special interest" magazine to offering 4 issues a year that we can subscribe to!  And, a congratulations goes out to Kim Werker of CrochetMe as she is now the new editor of Interweave Crochet -- look for the new Spring issue coming out in April!

Well now, that seemed to help.  The Queen tune is no longer playing in my head. It's been replaced with the Beatles' "Hello, Goodbye" ...

You say goodbye and I say hello
Hello hello
I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello
Hello hello
I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello ...
: , , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think "Family Circle Easy Crochet" was sponsered by Paton/Bernat.  They might have decided to distribute their patterns on their websites instead of a magazine.  
Wendy