Sunday, June 1, 2008

Question From Reader: Benefiting from Classes?


Dear Dee: I have been knitting for years, mainly using a crochet hook to pick up stitches and do some edgings.  I have tried crocheting an entire project before but found reading the patterns difficult, and forgetaboutit  when it comes to meeting crochet gauge.  I am looking at your crochet classes on the Knit and Crochet Show site, and even googled you.  You are all over the Internet!  Do you think I would I benefit from taking your beginner classes?  Thanks, Linda

 

Dear Linda,
Thank you for contacting me and inquiring if my classes would help you with learning more about crochet.  First, let me state I am flattered you googled me.  You are the third person this week to tell me they've done so!  :)

Second, my answer is yes!  I do think you would benefit -- greatly, if I do say so myself -- from taking my Crochet 101 and Crochet 102 classes.  Do you need to take both classes?  Honestly, I think you're the best person to answer that.  The Crochet 101 class is for beginners -- those who need to learn from the ground up.  Based upon what you wrote, I'm guessing you are comfortable with some of the basics already.  If this is the case, that you are comfortable with making basic crochet stitches and maintaining stitch count, then I think you can pass on the 101 class.  Then again, we'll be covering information you might find very helpful.

The Crochet 102 class will cover more of the rules of crochet and why we need them.   It also includes gauge (discovering if you are a "lifter" or a "rider" -- which is important to know, reading patterns, how to properly  add on new yarn/colors, and more!  Since you have a knitting background, we can use that information to make your crocheting experience more enjoyable!  

If you're still not sure, then I highly suggest taking both classes.  I definitely think you can benefit from taking both, but since I am not beside you observing just how much crochet knowledge you have already, it's up to you to decide.  I wouldn't wait too long though, as classes are filling up fast! 

By the way, I'm not sure if Google picked up on this when you researched me, but I can crochet with either hand.  So it doesn't matter to me if you are left or right handed!  I teach can teach both!  :)

I hope this helps,
~Dee

No comments: