Friday, February 3, 2006

Time Off

Ah, I know, I've been away for a few days.  Thank you for the emails expressing your concerns.  I'm OK, we're OK.  I took some time off to let my emotions settle a bit; some time to let me look at the positive side of a terrifying moment that thankfully didn't end in tragedy.    For those that don't know what happened yet my son was nearly mowed down by a speeding SUV while he was crossing the parking lot at his school.  I was witness to this, as were several other parents.  I screamed as any mother does when she sees her child in immediate danger.  They were the kind of screams that chill the blood; screams I never wish to make or hear again for the rest of my life.  My son heard my frantic screams and stopped instantly in his tracks.  The SUV missed him by an inch. 

The reason for the SUV to race across the parking lot?  They were running late. 
In my book, if you're running late, you're running late.  It doesn't matter if you're 5 seconds late, or 5 minutes late.  You're still late.  So is it worth it to endanger your passengers, and those on foot, to race across a parking lot to save 5 seconds?   

Later that same day the driver of the SUV apologized to me.  I think I was still in what's called "shell shock."  I remember her telling me she was running late and that she didn't think to look on both sides of the aisles of parked cars  -- the only thing she had on her mind was getting her children to school on time.  If ever there was a day to show I'm not one in need of anger management -- then this was it.  I wanted to unleash the fury of emotions I had, but I didn't.  I didn't want to scare her young son she had with her; I just wanted her to promise to never, ever, race across ANY parking lot again.  And she did promise, and we left it at that.  

But I'm still upset.  I can't get the image of the SUV coming right towards my son out of my mind; my heart is still in the back of my throat.  I thought crocheting would help relieve how I'm feeling, but it hasn't.  I thought flipping through some new crochet books that just arrived would interest me.  It hasn't.  Instead we've been spending time watching family videos -- being thankful that what could have been, wasn't.

So again, I appreciate your concern and understanding.  I'll be back to "being me" hopefully in a few days.  I'm focusing on the positive!

If you'd like to leave comments, please do.  But rather than focus on my story here, why not tell me what you're working on?  I think that would help brighten my spirits more.  :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

{{{{{{{{{{Dee}}}}}}}}}}}}

Let me see...I'm still working on rosettes and leaves. :)  Yesterday, I frogged DH's afghan and got all of those balls wound up.  I'm surprised my shoulder isn't sore from the frogging!

I really need to print what is in my "to be printed" folder in my "Favorite Links" area.

Have to finish rosettes and want to get them in a nice refreshing bath before I start sewing them together.  

Might have a "snow event" this weekend.  We have a weather watch out for tomorrow through Sunday morning.

Hope your weather is good, although I suspect with the rain we had yesterday and the night before, it probably isn't.  Hopefully you won't suffer anymore power outages.  I also hope you are feeling better - physically and emotionally.

Love, Sheila

Anonymous said...

Dear Dee,
   I have missed your e-mails and was wondering what was up?  So very sorry to hear about your son and thank goodness your used your voice and he is ok.
   I am getting ready for my trip to Florida with Eddie and my Mom and already am planning what projects to take.  Will hit the knit shops when i am down there.  I will miss coming to class for 2 tuesdays.  I will try to plan our March trip so that i will not miss the Freeform class.  I am really enjoying watching Margaret's video.  Am looking forward to meeting her one day.  She is very talented and seems to be a great teacher like YOU!!!  Take care and i will say a prayer for you and your son and family tomorrow when i go to Synagogue for thankfulness for his safety.  
                  Take care -- your student.  
                     Fondly,  Shelley Senker