Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Freeform Jacket Update

On Monday Connecticut had a huge snow storm -- touted as one of the Top Five largest storms in the Connecticut State History. To give an idea of how large, it's reported that the Danbury Airport received 30 inches of snow -- in a single day! That's a lot of snow!

Fortunately for me, I was well prepared. I settled in with my variety of fibers and hooks and played with my freeform project some more.

The other day Sheila inquired, " does one crochet these items directly onto a jacket somehow, or are they made separately and then sewn on?" The answer, Sheila, is "yes." Either works.

But crocheting directly onto the jean jacket would require punching holes into the tough fabric -- and I don't want to do that for this project. Instead, I'm sewing the pieces on. If you look at the updated image you can see some of the work I've done.  (Better lighting would help make the piece "pop," but hopefully you get the idea.)  Some of it already has been sewn on, the rest pinned.

I'm letting the work "rest" while I take time to "eye" it to see if this is really how I want the work to look. If not, I can take the pinned pieces off and move them around until I find a combination more pleasing. It's like putting a puzzle together without the box top to peak at how the final results are supposed to look. This is what makes it so much fun! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for answering my question :)!  Someday it will be nice to give this a try for the experience of it!  Jacket looks wonderful so far!  Can't wait to see the finished product.  Did you ever finish the shirt/sweater (freeform) that you were working on for your daughter?  I seem to recall you had pics either here or on your webpage about a year ago.  I think the base was white?  That was a great pic for details on freeform to see the different things you were utilizing in it.  (you see I DO pay attention!!! :D).  

Hope you were able to survive the storm okay.  We had a 13" snowfall in late 2004.  I thought that was bad.  I can't imagine 24 to 30 inches of the stuff.  

Hugs,
Sheila