Monday, February 27, 2006

I've Got a New Attitude ...

Songs have a way of getting stuck in your head, especially when they relate to how you're feeling.  Hmmm, I wonder if Patti Labelle is a crocheter ...

I'm feeling totally inspired!  During my "Birthday Week Extravaganza" last week, I opted to drive to Pawling and take a class with my crochet heroine, Margaret Hubert.  I had taken a class with someone else a few years earlier on entrelac crochet and I never grasped the technique.  This had a lot to do with the instructor grabbing my work out of my hands and exclaiming, "Oh, let me do it for you!" It was the worst crochet class I ever took, and it made me feel intimidated to try the technique on my own.

So when I explained to Margaret what had happened in the other instructor's class, she agreed with me: a student will never learn if the instructor/teacher rips the work out of the student's hands and does the work for them!  

Margaret had me take out one of her entrelac instructions (visit her website if you're interested!)  I had been waiting to play with, but hadn't because of the negative feelings I had associated with that aforementioned awful class.  She had me start off with my slip knot, my chain, and then just mere moments later had me entrelacing with bliss!!  You can see me there on the right (in red) as one very happy birthday girl!

At the same time she had Robert (not Peter! -- sorry, that's a joke from the class) who is a die-hard knitter, learn how to crochet a traditional granny square.  We had a marvelous time with Margaret, the store's staff, and with each other -- particularly because we kidded each other about being a "snob" towards our favorite fiber art -- all while reaching our goals!  What a riot of a good time we had!

In the end, I learned how to entrelac, and Robert learned how to crochet beautiful granny squares. And Margaret showed us how to finish that last round/row stitch to make it look seemless.  Really now, look at Robert's granny square to the left; can you see where he started/ended his last round? (need a closer look?  Click onto the image!)  Now that's what I call a beautiful finishing technique!

In return for Margaret unlocking the entrelac technique misery, er mystery, for me, I got her turned onto the wonderment of blogging!  Working with Debbie Bliss' Cashmerino is a dream!In fact, she mentions this very class in her blog entry today!  :-)  (click here to visit her)

What have I created with the entrelac piece I started in class?  Nothing -- yet!  I'm still practicing, tinkering with the technique.  I might make a pillow cover, a scarf, or a handbag.  One thing for sure is I've got a new attitude towards entrelac and I'm loving it!  (to see a larger view of my entrelac work, click onto the image)


*** For those interested in visiting the Yarn & Craft Shop and giving Marie, the owner, a visit, she's located at 24 Charles Coleman Blvd, Pawling, NY.   (845) 855-1632  AND, be sure to let her or Francis know if you're a member of a crochet or knit guild to receive a discount off your purchase! 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dee -

Is there a formula for determining the price of an item to be sold?  Thank you.

Sandy
uddernd@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I love your entrelac!!! Where can I find info on how to do this technique?

Anonymous said...

Dee, is this tunisian entrelac?

Anonymous said...

Debi: dogymom@gmail.com
Can't get this on the aol sign up thingie