Wednesday, October 18, 2006

October: National Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Last year I lost a sister-in-law and an aunt to cancer. It pains me that so many are still diagnosed with one type or another every year.  Cancer doesn't care about your age, your gender, your social status.  All it does is rip people off from enjoying a lifetime with their loved ones.

I received a call from another aunt the other night.  "Dee," she said, "I got a call from our local hospital.  There seems to be a significant number of new cases of cancer and they're asking our Senior Center if we can help them by making Chemo Caps.  These new patients will need them once their treatments start. I was wondering if you knew."

I did.  In fact my local CGOA Chapter has been working on another Chemo Hat drive that we'll be donating very soon.  We call it our "Hats from the Heart" campaign.  The hats featured in today's photo are fresh off my hook from today.  (A big thanks to Maddie for the yarn donation!)

You can help your local hospial/cancer centers too.  Why not give them a call and then hook up with some other crocheters & knitters and make it an event to help someone fight cancer by creating a simple chemo hat or two.  You'll be glad you did.  :)

No comments: