Friday, October 20, 2006

Love is the International Language for Crochet

 This week has been a *Fiber High* for me.  From being nominated for the Vivi Awards, to receiving a call from a publisher requesting I create a specialized pattern for one of their upcoming books, to now this ... a Proclamation from the Governor of Connecticut declaring November 11th as ... well, you'll just have to come back on November 11th to find out unless you're a member of the Crochet Guild of America's online group where I already blurted out the good news.  (I couldn't contain my excitement! lol)

As great as all that news is to me, I am also delighted to learn that many of you enjoyed the picture of the crocheted chemo caps I worked up a few days ago.  I was really tickled with how nice they came out too.  And yes, I know -- you want the pattern!

Would you be surprised to learn that it's the same pattern I posted for the Caps to the Capital drive?  Yep, it is!  Currently you can find a link to the pattern in the left column of my blog -- just scroll down to the area for "Caps to the Capital."  The difference between the caps I created for the "Caps to the Capital" and the Chemo Caps is a thicker fiber, a larger hook, and an additional "increase row" have been added to bring it up to adult size.   And this brings up a good lesson: don't be afraid to experiment with your crochet patterns! 

Say you're looking at a pattern that is designed for a baby and thinking, "Gee, this would look great worked up with X fiber (think adult textures/color here) but I'm not sure how to make it bigger," then consider reading the pattern like a romance novel!

Yeah, that's right, I'm recommending you read your patterns like a romance novel!  Think of your crochet hook as Fabio, and your yarn as the damsel in distress.  (Of course if romance novels don't work for you, then try thinking of it as an action thriller, or a sci fi adventure.) Then pour yourself a nice glass of wine, or perhaps a hot cup of coffee or tea.  Get comfortable and study each instruction for round or row -- even draw it out using International Crochet Symbols if you'd like! 

I think that when we read our patterns like this, when we really dive into them before actually working them up, that we ultimately learn that the hook and yarn do make magic together -- and when they do, we get the final say in their destiny.  Will they go on together to create that project as scripted, or will they venture off, using this new "experience" to blaze new paths in their romance/adventure together? 
You get to make that ultimate decision and that's what is so great about crocheting.  So go ahead, settle in for the night with a great read:  your latest crochet pattern book!  In the long run, you'll be glad you did!  :)


Side note: Today's hat, based on the same aforementioned pattern altering,  was intended to be a chemo hat, but I think the fiber is not acceptable.  The hat looks really fantastic in person: a lot of sheen & color (the color theme reminds me of visits to local orchards for pumpkin picking).  Unfortunately the fiber is not ultra soft as a cancer patient needs.  I might use it as a gift, or offer it up for sale; I haven't decided yet.  (a larger version of the hat can be seen here: http://static.flickr.com/81/274928472_6182a820d2.jpg)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That hat is GORGEOUS!!!!  Too bad that it isn't acceptable for a chemo cap.  I'm sure you will make someone's day as the recipient of it regardless.

I'm not much into romance novels, but when I do find a pattern that I'm in love with, I do study it to see how I might be able to alter it to my taste.

And that is sooooooooooooooo typical about your news!  We have to wait!  ARGHHH!  LOL!

Love and hugs,
Sheila

Anonymous said...

Cool hat!

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink