Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Spoonful of Sugar

This afternoon as I did my weekly volunteer time at my children's school, crocheting of course!, a teacher from one of the higher grades approached me.  "I envy you," she said.

"Why," I inquired.

"Because you can do that!"  She pointed to my project still on my crochet hook.

"But you can do it too," I coaxed.

"No, I can't," she replied.  "I tried.  My mother tried to teach me but I'm a lefty.  I just couldn't get it."

"Left handed, right handed, it doesn't matter," I said.  "What does is that you practice.  Try it with one hand, try it with the other.  Crocheting is really a two-handed art form.  Sit with me sometime and we'll see if we can get you started."

She smiled.  "I might take you up on that someday," she replied.

"I hope you do," I answered.  :)



     I think it's a mind set.  If you think you will fail then you're setting yourself up for failure.  I think if you relax and accept that you're learning a new skill, with practice, it will come.  I hope this teacher does take me up on my offer; it would be good to change her mind and open a world of creativity to her.

     I was invited by Lion Brand today, as part of a "small select group," to become a part of their "Project Advisory Board for Knitting."  Hmmm.  Knitting.  (This is where I should swallow my own advice to change my mind about holding two sticks to create lushious fabrics.)  They're putting together a pilot test group before it goes live on their website.  Knitting.  I don't feel comfortable enough with my knitting skills to review the materials and provide them with suggestions and comments to make the best of the program.  Now, crocheting?  Well, that's my second language!  I wrote back to them thanking them for the opportunity andd requesting they place my name in the hat, so to speak, for helping with the crocheting aspect.

     So now the question is, do I humble myself to accept my own advice and use my knitting needles to practice my knitting, or do I continue to use them as hair sticks? What's that diddy Mary Poppins sings? Oh, yes ... "Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, the medicine go down, the medicine go down... in the most delightful way!"

No comments: