Friday, March 31, 2006

The "end of the worsted war?"

It's beautiful outside today!  The spring season has finally sprung and I'm enjoying being outside breathing the fresh air.  Yes, rocking in my swing complete with laptop and current WIP: the Irish Clones Lace Arm Band that will be for my son's First Holy Communion.  See?  I'm taking it easy; encouraging myself to get over this cold faster so I can enjoy my classes at the Ewephoric Weekend tomorrow!  ((big grins))

There has been much discussion lately about the feuding between knitters and crocheters -- I've even discussed some of my thoughts and experiences on the topic here.  (The most recent being how I was treated in some yarn shops once it was discovered I was a crocheter.)  The overall response in these discussions has a simple message, "Let's end the worsted war and all get along."  I couldn't agree more!

Recently an inquiry was posted about a college group of men & women, comprised of knitters and crocheters, who were in need of a name.  I gave it some thought and came up with "The Purls and Boyes Club."  I don't know if it will be selected as their final name, but in thinking about it, there has been much controversy over the name of "Stitch'n Bitch"* that many groups use.  (*Normally I don't use that type of language here, but since it is the name of a real publication, I'll make an exception.)  The controversy focuses on who owns the right to use the name, and while I don't want to head down that road and get into a *he said, she said* type of posting here, Stitch N' Bitch Crochet: The Happy HookerI did find it interesting that I'd be contacted with a request to review a  humorous video that is a collaboration between "Expanded Books" and "Workman Publishing."  The video was designed to promote the release of the latest Stitch'n Bitch series:  Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller.  OK, Jennifer, you're on!

Here's my thoughts on the video:  with my DSL connection I could not watch the video in its entirety.  It took several "replays" to get the overall idea.  But once I did, I loved it!  The tie to "West Side Story" was great!   If there is a way, Jennifer, that your programmers can have the video load entirely and then let it play I'd love it even more.  Of course, there is the option to download it, and I assure you I will (but on my "real" computer).  I think the video has a great message about it all starting with "one loop" -- and ending "the worsted war" is awesome!  So, now I'm off to watch video #2 ... and I'm thinking that if the video reflects the same fresh approach as the book, then I need to check out the book too!

So, readers, now it's your turn!  You go, check out the video, and drop me a line here, or a link to your blog where you review it.  I'd love to know your thoughts on it!  J

CLICK TO SEE THE HAPPY HOOKER VIDEO



Note: For those that are adding this book to their personal libraries, visit here for pattern corrections.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just ran the clip and thought it was hysterical.  I love the concept of a turf war between knitting and crochet and I have often had to battle it myself. I once went into a yarn store and asked if they had any crochet hooks, as none were evident, and the lady just looked and me and said "we don't do that here".  You'd have thought I had asked for an illegal drug. I also love your blog and will be tuning in often.

Anonymous said...

It was really nice meeting you yesterday and your crocheting inspired me.  I'm not a crochet snob, just crochet impaired as I can't seem to get the different stitches down for some reason.  Even Linda Diak has tried to teach me and I still can't seem to grasp it.  

But after seeing you crocheting the flowers yesterday and your beautiful poncho, I'll  have to dig out my crochet books and try it again.

BTW, I see you have Karla's Korner in your blog links; she is a friend of mine too and we go back almost 10 years now.  :)