Saturday, September 17, 2005

Beauty is in the eye of the


... Crocheter.

It's come to my attention that not all of my work has "eye appeal."  Take the Celtic Crochet experiment I featured on August 7th.  Some of the comments on the piece are not so, shall we say, accepting?  BUT THAT's OK.  No, really, it is!

Not all colors will make all crocheters happy.  Not all techniques will make all crocheters happy.  That's what makes us each unique.  And this is why it's important to experiment to find out what we like and what we don't.  If you don't try it, how will you know?  

By trying you learn.  By learning you grow.  By growing you can overlook the obvious parts that you dislike while at the same time admiring the parts that you do.  That's when you know you've crossed the line of being a "hobbyist" to that of being a "passionate enthusiast."

Really, it's OK not to be tickled pink (or in this case turned on by my hideous color selections above) with all the aspects of crochet, or color combinations.  The key is to look deeper into the work -- kind of get away from that cliche' of judging a book by it's cover and more on it's content.  :)
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm one who knows the importance of not "judging a book by its cover".  But there's another adage that says "first impressions count".   I did not see your original post about this Celtic Crochet.  This is the first time I'm seeing it, as you note that not everyone liked it.  I must say that I did choose to look at it "deeper" after my initial sight of it, but then I think I had an advantage in that I was already expecting it to look not so nice considering your post about other's comments.  When I looked at the pattern, trying to turn a blind eye to the color choices, I do like what I see.  I thought to myself "That's actually a pretty pattern."

So it's a great pattern.  Color choices are a personal matter.  It would look almost Christmas-y without that lavender thrown in!  But naw, I'm not keen on the color choices and if it were on a cover of a book, I'm afraid that first impressions count and I would judge that book by its cover.  It's human nature.  Sometimes I can get past the cover of a book and actually open it to peruse its contents.  I do this with crochet books.  No matter how hideous the cover might be, crochet is crochet!  We can change the colors of our projects with the ones pictured in any book!  There's freedom there!  Unfortunately, not all books get the second look from me if the cover offends me at all.... my loss in some cases, I'm sure.

Great post.  I agree with your thoughts about the situation.