Sunday, February 1, 2009

Fringe Benefits

There are two camps to the issue of to fringing: to do so or not. It's a personal decision, and one could have crocheters counting the ways they love it, or not.

I have long been an advocate of NOT adding fringe to children's scarves as there have been horrible accidents of it getting caught in school bus doors. And up to about eight or nine years ago, I also stopped adding fringe to baby blankets as I've learned there is a possiblity of the strands coming loose and the baby (who puts EVERYTHING in it's mouth) could choke on it.

So, imagine, if you will, my silent 2:00 AM scream of horror in feeling the fringe, from the afghan my mother lovingly crocheted for Mr. Dee and I, tangling and then yanking out my earring! Fortunately I was not injured; but it does add another strike against fringing. (Or for those who love fringe, they could just state I shouldn't be sleeping with my earrings on. This of course is another personal choice thing.)

Don't get me wrong, there are many places fringe looks great, but not, in my humble opinion, when it could cause injury. I think adding crocheted borders are a much safer route to go. I'm just saying ...

4 comments:

Astaryth said...

I've never cared for fringe on most things. I'll often leave it off even if the pattern calls for it. Although, like you, I have to admit that there are some things it looks nice on. However, I always considered it a visual thing, I never thought about it from a safety standpoint!!

Anonymous said...

The first thing I thought about was in the movie The Incredibles when "E" says "No capes!" :). Dee says "No fringe!"

CrochetWithDee said...

That is too funny, Cnuland!
Thanks for the giggles,
~Dee

Sandie said...

I don't put fringe on anything I make these days, though I used to do so long ago. It serves no purpose and, as you say, can be harmful. Pretty is nice, but deadly is not.