Sunday, February 22, 2009

G-l-o-r-i-a gloria

Earlier this week we visited with my Grammie Gloria, which reminded me that I apparently never blogged about giving her the Doris Chan "All Shawl" I had crocheted for her. (Or maybe I had but I just can't find it in my archives...) regardless, she loved the shawl!

When we visited her this week she showed me where she keeps her shawl; on her bed. "I drape it across my chest when I'm reading in bed," she said. Drat! I felt an immediate twinge of guilt for forgetting she had requested I come up with some sort of closure for the shawl so she could wear it without fear of it slipping off.

Before heading to the beach on Friday I had spent some time looking at my projects I have stored on Ravelry. I'm glad I had; when we went to AC Moore I managed to pick out the right colors in beads and buttons for the closures I just finished making for her! (although the image here doesn't reflect that). I'll be mailing these to her tomorrow; won't she be surprised?

How they work: one button is inserted between two double crochet stitches and then stretched over to the other side with the second button inserted between two double crochet stitches. There is stong elastic under the beads which will allow for some stretching. I made two sizes so she can elect to use both at the same time, or one at a time depending upon her needs.

1 comment:

JustCindy said...

Grandma's shawl is just beautiful! She will love the closure you found for her.