Saturday, February 9, 2008

This Girl Must be Dreaming

Last night I settled in to finally watch the 2007 Golden Globe Winner for Best Picture movie, "DreamGirls."  I was mesmerized by Jennifer Hudson's fantastic performance, who won an Academy Award for her roll as Effie -- and I was also pleasantly surprised to see some great crochet! 

In the scene where Beyonce Knowles (who played the roll of Deena) marries Jamie Fox (playing the roll of Curtis), Beyonce/Deena wore a crocheted wedding gown.  It looked a bit like Filet Crochet; you bet I'll be returning to that scene later today to study it some more!

In another scene, where Eddie Murphy (playing the roll of James "Thunder" Early) is recording a new sound/song with Anika Noni Rose (in the roll of Lorell), he was wearing a really cool crocheted hat, solidly striped in single double crochets ending with "air vents" towards the center.  Yeah, that's another scene I'll be revisiting today.

Lastly, I spotted crochet in a scene featuring Beyonce/Deena and Jamie/Curtis.  Beyonce/Deena was wearing a black, open stitch sweater; at least on the sleeves. (For those that follow color themes and hidden meanings, I'll leave it up to you to guess why black was used in the scene.) The back of the sweater looked like a bunch of open-work circles connected here & there.  I'll be "freezing" the frame to look closer for sure!

Considering that the movie reflects the 1960 and 1970 time periods, these three crocheted items could easily fit into today's fashions!

With a mixed bag of weather, rain & snow, forecasted for this weekend, I'll have plenty of time to re-watch this movie, and enjoy the crochet cameo appearances.  If you like the Motown sound (which I do!), then go ahead & get the movie.  Your local library may even have it available for loan!  Pop a bowl of popcorn and be prepared.  Watching Jennifer/Effie sing the song "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" is just awesome!!  :) 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched DREAMGIRLS last night and am dying to get a pattern for the hat that Eddie Murphy wore in the recording session.  Crocheted of course.
Can ANYONE help??