Wednesday, November 28, 2007

From the Mouth of Babes...

Since tonight is the night my CGOA Chapter will be gathering at our local Borders bookstore to group together the scares, mittens/gloves, and hats we've been collecting to donate to our local Salvation Army next week, yesterday I decided to see if I could whip up one more hat for the cause.

As I packed up the trumpets for my children's music lesson, I selected a pretty lavender colored yarn for the hat, and then headed to my children's school.  Since I am one of the "band Mom's" I figured I had plenty of time to work on it, and I was right.  (I have just a few more rows for the rim of the hat and it will be complete.)

Getting back to my story, as I awaited for the band members to come to the school gym to prepare for their lessons I started working on the hat.  Across the gym was the Kindergarten class awaiting to take their buses home.  I sat, tuned in to crocheting my hat when suddenly my ears perked up.  What was this I was hearing??

It was the little youngsters debating about what it was that I was doing:

"She's knitting."

"She's sewing."

"It's not knitting, it's a new type of sewing."

"It's not sewing, it's knitting with one stick."

"No, no, she's knitting. I saw my Grandma doing it once."

"No, she's knitting."

"No, knitting is with two sticks, like this..." 

"No, that's not what she's doing.  She's sewing, you just can't see her needle."

Then one child raised her voice above all the others,
   "I know what she's doing!  She is crocheting!  I've seen it done before, and it's fast!"

I looked at the little girl and beamed her a huge smile.  She smiled back.

All her little friends looked at her.  "Whoa," said one little boy, "how did you know that? I thought she was sewing."

She went into her school backpack and pulled out a little pink hat, then put it on her head, saying nothing.  Even from where I was sitting I could see that the hat was crocheted! 

Before I had the chance to cross the gym to inspect it closer, and to inquire who she had seen crocheting, it was time for her to board her bus and head home.  At that same time all the band members started filing into the gym.  Still, it was cool to hear that at least one youngster in the bunch knew her fiber arts!  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL!  What a story!  Some of the more precious words come out of the mouths of babes.  Hopefully you will get to talk to that intelligent young girl in the future. :)

Hugs and love,
Sheila