Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Crochet is everywhere, la la la la la la laaaaa

I kidnapped my friend's children yesterday and had fun with them at a local childrens museum.  As they ran around with mine, perhaps unknowingly learning about the process of aging, sound, lights, and the galaxy, I worked on some more chemo hats.  As I did a woman approached me and inquired what I was doing.

Without missing a beat, or should I say a stitch?, I looked up at her and explained the hat that was upon my hook.  She said she's a knitter looking to convert (isn't that music to my ears!) as she heard crochet was quicker.  I replied, "... and more!  You can change hooks, stitches, fibers, directions, and dimensions anywhere in your work.  You're not constricted by rules."  She seemingly liked the sound of this.  "And look," she added, you're not even looking at your work!  That's amazing!"

I found out she's visiting from Phoenix, AZ, and is looking for someone to teach her how to crochet.  I gave her some websites of crochet groups to check out along with my business card.  I do hope she's able to connect with someone local who will pass on the passion of crochet to her.

As the children and I went on to another display, a group of children stopped in front of me.  "You're crocheting, aren't you," said one.  "Yes, I am," I delightedly replied.  "She's making a hat," said one child to another.  "Is that hard to do," asked another.  "No," I replied, "it just takes practice."  They watched me crochet for a few more minutes and then moved on.  I overheard one child stating to another that she's going to ask her Grandma to teach her how to crochet.  Hmmm, interesting what one can be inspired to learn more about when at museums, huh?  LOL

At the end of the day I had finished my second hat.  My friend's daughter inquired if this one would be for donation too.  I asked her to come over & let me borrow her head.  I said I needed to see if the hat was just the right size.  It was; I told her the hat was hers to keep.  She was delighted and let out one of the biggest grins of the day.
 

When I returned the children to their home, I got to talking to my friend a bit about my daughter's crochet project she's been working on since the weekend.  (She's working on the slipper kit you see pictured on the left.) I showed my friend the work she's already completed and it seemed to spark an interest in my friend's daughter who was standing nearby.  "Mommy, I want to learn how! Can you show me?"  Who knows, maybe we'll have another newbie crocheter in our mists ...

Oh go ahead, you know you want to sing it:

Crochet is in the air
Everywhere I look around
Crochet is in the air
Every sight and every sound 
 
(Chorus) 
Crochet is everywhere
Crochet is in the air
Oh oh oh
Oh oh oh

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!  I love that song!  Personally, I think you make a good case for....oh, what do they call it?....living art?  I wonder if the museum people felt as though you were taking away from their exhibits?  Or wanted to make an exhibit out of you?  LOL!  So happy the kids were interested in what you were doing and Bless the knitter looking to convert!

Wish we lived closer, Dee.  I'd have loved to have gone to the museum with you and the kids.  Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Have a great day!

Love,
Sheila

Anonymous said...

Awww... Dee travels and converts all to her passion! {LOL} I finally got back on the internet after a long (and annoying) little adventure.... I'm not caught up yet, but am slowly trying to see what everyone has been up to the last couple of months.... some of you guys are really prolific! <g>