Sunday, May 2, 2004

A Woman's Strength

I read a quote today that really seemed to say it all and hit my funny bone at the same time (I don't know who penned it):

  --A woman is like a tea bag, you never know her strength until you drop her in hot water.

In thinking of all the multitasking, deadlines, roll playing, and other demands placed upon us either by choice or not, I am amazed at how much we accomplish! 

I'm asked many times if I ever sleep because of the amount of classes I offer, that I develop for future offerings, along with the time I volunteer (in real life and online), that I spend with my husband & kids, that I offer for my Crochet Club, that I crochet for charity, and so on -- and I assure you I do sleep -- but I try to let the little stuff slip by that I deem unimportant.  Otherwise I think I'd go utterly insane.

Some examples of this include getting the oil changed every 4000 miles instead every 3000; instead of doing the dishes the minute they're dirty, I let them pile up and do them in the evening as the kids are working on homework.  I let the laundry pile up on the weekends (isn't time with the family more important?), and save errands for doing after picking the kids up from school (after all, a quick stop at Dunkin Donuts to discuss the "hard day at school" is more fun over a jelly filled donut).

But getting back to that quote, I feel that if I'm dropped into hot water like a tea bag, this magical super-hero cape seems to appear and for the most part, I'm able to whiz around and get the job done (is it crocheted?  probably!).  I'm amazed at this incredible strength that seemingly comes from no where and helps me accomplish so much!  And as far as getting the crochet job done -- I think I'm just thankful that I'm able to crochet for small bursts with my eyes closed.  Resting up for the next emergency that will test my strength.  :)

No comments: