Saturday, June 6, 2009

((snicker, snort))

Last night I served my mandatory "volunteer" time at my children's school, serving as a "runner" during Bingo that helps the school raise money to keep tuition down.

Usually I bring some soft yarn and quietly work on crocheting chemo caps as I await the excited "BINGO!" shout (or shouts depending upon the number of winners for that particular game). But, since all I have on my crochet hook at the moment is my "cotton candy" project, I didn't want to bring it with me and later be upset to have it smelling like cigarette smoke (some judges take off points for projects having an odor); and I had no time to grab a skein of yarn & hook for chemo caps before dashing out the door -- but I did grab Mary Beth Temple's new book, "Hooked for Life: Adventures of a Crochet Zealot" ... and I shouldn't have. Seriously.

When one is in a Bingo hall it is important to be quiet. Apparently, very quiet. Bingo is a serious game, and missing one called number could be the difference between going home empty handed, or going home a winner, perhaps with the jackpot. Why shouldn't I have brought the book? Because Mary Beth got me into trouble. ((snicker))

As I read the various chapters I started laughing. At first I was laughing real quiet like, being respectful to the Bingo players. Then I started softly chuckling; I got a few glances my way. As I continued to read I tried to hold the laughs in, but that only made it worse. Then, when I got to the chapter on Mount Yarn, I just couldn't hold my laughter back any longer -- I burst!! It was as if Mary Beth had a bird's eye view of my own personal Mount Yarn!! ... Ah, if looks could kill! ... reluctantly, I put the book away, apologized, and then returned to the seriousness of calling out numbers and verifying Bingo winners. ((Mount Yarn -- snicker, snort))

At the end of the night several lady Bingo'ers approached me. "What? No crocheting tonight?" one asked. "Yeah, we like it better when you crochet," another one added. "Oh, yeah, bring some yarn next time and make more chemo hats! It's amazing how quick you make them!" the third one exclaimed. I got the message.

I am half way through the book, and I have Bingo duty again next week. I'm thinking I won't be bringing Mary Beth to anymore Bingo halls...

3 comments:

Jocelyn Sass said...

Dee, you've convinced me that I just HAVE to buy Mary Beth's book! Sounds great! Way to go, Mary Beth! Oh, and you brought back a lot of memories for me also. I used to have to work BINGO to help with my kid's tuition also. I wasn't fortunate to be able to crochet during it, though! I had to be the banker.....

MBT said...

Fine, blame me if you must! But I am glad you are finding it amusing - thanks for the shout out!

Unknown said...

Hee hee, I had to call a girlfriend that is also a crocheter. My husband just wasn't appreciative enough of the excerpts I was reading out loud.