Wednesday, July 11, 2007

It's all about EWE, ME, and NH too

Today was our family day.  Initially we had planned on spending it at a local amusement park but due to weather forecasts of thunder storms we scratched that plan.  To get ideas, I took the kids to the hotel lobby to gather what brochures they had available.  While there I spotted another CGOA  Conference attendee ... Prudence Mapstone!  She had just arrived after traveling 36 hours from "tomorrow" to get here today.  (Gotta love those time zones!)

We decided we'd head east to visit the town of Exetor to see the
American Independence Museum.  Unfortunately we failed to read the fine print on the brochure.  An hours' drive later we discovered that due to limited funding, they're only open from Wednesdays to Saturdays.  Dooph!  Scratch that idea.

So, being so close to the New Hampshire coast we decided to drive up the coast and see the sights.  That was an interesting trip!  Our first stop was in Hampton Beach.  Hungry and with a great need for a potty break we decided to visit the only McDonald's on the strip.  That was a mistake as it was so dirty.  So we got back on the road and continued to head north.  With bladders at full capacity, I advised Mr. Dee we needed to stop somewhere, anywhere, with a restroom that was savory.  No sooner did I state this to him, and we started to round a little corner, that he'd reply, "Oh, look a little yarn shop."

Just like that.  I screamed, "What?"  Totally not expecting for a yarn shop to appear in the middle of housing dating back to the 1600 and 1700 hundreds.  Fort Constitution State ParkI figured the bladders could wait; there was a yarn shop to be explored!  So, Mr. Dee pulled over and that's just what we did! 

He had found the yarn shop, Yarn For Ewe in the town of Rye -- and what a delightful shop at that!  I took my time wondering around the store petting various "new to me" fibers while deciding upon some to consider as "souvenirs."  I bought two bags worth of goodies, and yes, we were relieved to use the "facilities" too!  I had the most delightful conversation with the owner and her son; if ever I'm in the area again I'll be sure to visit again!

Once we were back on the road we decided to head even more north, made a few more stops on the way, and ended up in Maine.  We did a little souvenir shopping there -- just enough for the kids to say they were there -- and then headed back home to the hotel. We had a very fun & adventure packed day!

Since our return to the hotel, I have bumped into many crocheters -- all of which are looking forward to tomorrow's "Professional Day."  With that I'll end off.  It's going to be a busy day indeed and it will start very early in the morning!  :)
Tags: , , , ,

No comments: