Monday, March 19, 2007

Dee, Enchanted

My CGOA Chapter, The Happily Hooked on Crocheting Club, as part of it's celebration of National Crochet Month, will be doing a month long crochet display.  Part of that display will pay homage to Rose Wilder Lane.  In preparation of the display I decided to visit the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum online and ended up ordering one of Rose's books, Young PioneersCrochet & Knit references can be found woven into the storyline, first published in 1933, as well as some postcards (sight unseen) that will be part of the display. 

On Saturday my order arrived.  I was tickled with the postcards -- especially the one of Rose.  I didn't know it would be of her pictured as a child.  But I'm glad it was.  She's pictured wearing a gorgeous crocheted collar and set of cuffs.  My guess is that her mother, Laura, had crocheted them for her. 

On Sunday I decided to read the entire book.  It's a story of a young married couple who head out west in their quest to capture a piece of the American dream; it's written in the same flavor as the Little House on the Prairie series.  Rose beautifully wove in references to knitting and crochet; what a pleasant surprise that was!  Because of this, I think it will make a great addition to the planned display at the Bethel Library next month! 

Another wonderful surprise was with the 2004 movie, Ella EnchantedWatch for the crochet & knit influences throughout the movie!, starring Anne Hathaway and Hugh Dancy.  In the past three days my children and I have watched this movie twice.  I'm thinking of watching it again today, by myself!  Not with popcorn in hand, but rather with a sketch pad, pencil, and the remote! (to pause!) in hand.  Why?  Because I'm "enchanted" with all the wonderful costumes the actors and actresses wear that showcase crochet & knit!!  Rent the movie, borrow it from your local library, or purchase a copy for yourself!  Watch for the sister, Haddy: she wears a beautiful orange gown with beautiful crocheted overlay stitches   Watch Ella for the knitted sleeves on her gown; the elves for their crocheted hats ... see, you're enchanted with wanting to watch the movie now too!  LOL

Lastly, I'd like to give a huge shout-out to Guido!  It's his first Pod-iversary and I am honored to have a virtual conversation with him on such an important anniversary!!   Go ahead and give a listen to his latest podcast:  www.itsapurlman.com.  This Friday, after his NYC adventures, we have plans to meet up!  I plan on taking him to the beautiful A Stitch In Time yarn shop in Bethel, and then to The Sycamore for lunch.  Hopefully, even though the weather will be in the 60s, he'll "enchant" me by wearing his red crocheted scarf!  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dee, great choice there! I, too, have read some stuff by Rose Wilder Lane, as an adult. She actually lived through the great earthquake in San Francisco. Amazing stuff!