Sunday, February 11, 2007

Re-igniting Crochet Passion?

It has been, quite indeed, a sad time here in Connecticut with two great yarn shops deciding to close it's doors forever.  With this in mind, I decided yesterday to kidnap my Aunt and take her to the Wool Connection.

We arrived late in meeting up with Lori, one of my students from the Stamford area -- turns out we were lost across the street!  (Did I ever mention I was born a platinum blond??  That's the explanation I'm going with here.)  Moving on, we eventually found the shop and while my daughter sought out specialty yarns for me, I showed my Aunt a large variety of fibers -- from cottons to wool and in every color of the rainbow.  I was delighted, given the bareness of many shelves, that they still had a nice selection to pick from.

Auntie asked a lot of questions, as it seems she's ready to pick up the hook again herself.  "I usually do this," she said pointing to a rectangle granny square on display.  She admitted that she is interested in crocheting preemie hats.  "If you can do that," I replied referencing to the granny square, "then you'll be able to crochet hats in no time!"  She was happy to hear that.

She loved meeting Lori too.  Lori couldn't stay long, (I did mention we were late, ah, yes I did, but I didnt' mention how late!  We were about an hour late, and I did mention the platinum blond birth, so we'll continue to leave the explanation there.  I will add to this two things: 1. Thank You Lori for not giving up on hooking up; and 2. thank goodness for cell phones!!), but the brief conversation they had was endearing.  I think it helped re-ignite my Aunt's crochet flame.  {{very big grins}}

I left with some great yarn treasures and beautiful buttons.  As we piled back into my vehicle I inquired, "Auntie, do you have an AC Moore around here?"  She being from the neighboring town exclaimed, "Do we ever!"  And with a twinkle in her eye, and a huge smile, we were happily roaring down the road to our next stop of fiber heaven!  Amazingly we didn't get lost that time, and yes, this means I did load up on that beautiful Caron Simply Soft "Shadows" I've been in love with for the past few weeks.

We had a fabulous time together -- and sometime in the future I'll be visiting with my Auntie again.  She wants me to teach her and her friends how to crochet preemie hats.  I can't wait!  :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE AUNTIE!!!!!!!!!  She is only 55, right!~  Dee, don't worry, I was born a blond.  LOL  You didn't get lost, they just misplaced the store!
(And that's my excuse and I'm stickin to it)!!!!!!!
Mary