Thursday, August 24, 2006

MMMMMM, waffles!

I plan on entering into the KOC2's "Scarf Contest" that will take place on September 17th. Red Heart Symphony YarnSince I'd like to enter/donate more than one scarf, I thought it best to get something on the hook now!  Why wait until the last minute to start a project, right? 

What you see in the image to the left is "the" actual scarf I'm designing -- similar to the one I created just shy of a year ago.   I'm using Nancy Nehring's "Waffle Weave" technique (not to be confused with the "waffle weave" stitch. Two completely different breeds ... like horses & zebras.) with a very large crochet hook along with
Red Heart's "Symphony" yarn.  The yarn was included in my "Goody Bag" from the recent Conference I attended this summer.  I've been waiting for the right project to come along to try the yarn and I'm glad I did!  The yarn has a subtle mix of colors with an incredible soft mohair feel & look to it. The fact that it's machine washable & dryable (it's an acrylic) made it perfect for a donation project.  As I work up each row I can't help but stop and pet the softness of the fabric I am creating!  It's that yummy!

As I mentioned just moments ago, the Waffle Weave technique is not the same as the Waffle Weave stitch. The technique utilizes the single crochet stitch that is pulled within itself to create that dimpled look often seen on thermal underwear, or the stable sheets used on horses(and as long as you're checking out the stable sheets, check this out too -- it's crocheted.)  

If you're looking to learn this technique, then check out Annies Attic -- you'll find two booklets offering instructions & patterns with this technique ... 
(Click here to get to
AnniesAttic
, and don't forget to use code ERGSHIP to get FREE SHIPPING. Word has it the offer expires on 8/26/06!)

So then, what is the Waffle Weave stitch?  The stitch requires working around the posts of stitches (rather than the traditional top loops) Does this sound like the Basket Weave stitch to you?  It should; its the same thing!  Designer Kim Guzman has afree pattern offered on her website; go here if you'd like to try the stitch.  And if you need visual help with seeing how to create front post and back post stitches, again, you'll want to visit AnniesAttic -- but this time to view their helpful video clips.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, those fly nets are neat.  My daughter & I collect Breyer horses, and we've made some bridles & halters with embroidery floss, & made saddle blankets, now I need to crochet some fly masks!