Thursday, June 8, 2006

... knitting magic ...


It seems difficult to believe that summer will officially be here in 13 days.  With all the rain we've been having it's hard to chase the chill away without long sleeves, a light winter coat, and a wool theme project.

When my children began the new school year back in August I sent them off to school with new wheelie bags (no, not crocheted).  So I was thinking that since I'll be attending a good amount of crochet classes this summer it's only right that I, too, have a new bag to tote my "school" items in.  This means the most current project I'm crocheting up is a new bag for myself that once done, I'll then felt.  I hope to post pictures of it in a few days. 

In the meantime, my daughter, who I mentioned just 24-short days ago, is taunting me with her new knitting skills.  At nine years old she is able to now enjoy both crochet and knit -- often times keeping both projects by her side.  She'll do a row of knit; put it down.  Pick up the crochet and do a row.  Put it down and pick up the knit again and repeat the process.  I am amazed at how easily her mind -- and her hands -- can change gears like that.  "Don't worry, Mommy," she says to me, "it's not as hard as you make it out to be.  When you're ready, I can show you." Lion Brand Scarf Kit Carnival -Easy Knit

And she's getting really good at it too, you know.  Last week I bought her a "Simply Scarves All in One Knit Kit" ... she had a foot in length done by time we got home.  She finished it just in time to eat dinner -- and that includes securing her tails in.  On Tuesday I bought her two skeins of Omaghi Falati Country "Le Fantasie" yarn (a wool/alpaca/acrylic mix).  She's nearly done with another scarf.  Granted it's bulky fiber & huge hooks, er needles, but the fact that she's whizzing through the knitting process is incredible to me.  Maybe, while the weather is still too cool to think true summer thoughts, it would be a good time for the two of us to snuggle close together where she can show me some of her knitting magic.  Maybe some of it will rub off on me.

      One can hope.

              ...  in the meantime, I'm off to go work on my wool bag some more.  :) 

No comments: