Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Guest Blogger: Priscilla of Connecticut


My Favorite Crochet Class
A few years ago, I had the good fortune to take a class with Melissa Leapman through my local crochet guild. What a fantastic learning experience! We actually took two classes in one day with her. The morning session was called "Color Play With Crochet" and the afternoon session focused on crocheted shawls. I still have the handouts from those classes, and I refer to them frequently. The pictures I have included in this post feature a placemat I designed based on Melissa's ideas. I used Lily Sugar 'N Cream cotton and the seed stitch, and then I changed colors every two rows. Because the seed stitch features single crochet stitches wrapped around a single chain, the colors seem to lock together rather than laying one on top of the other.

But perhaps the best part of the day was hearing all of the tips and techniques that Melissa included in her presentation. In one day, I became a much better crocheter because of all the advice she offered us. We learned how to change colors properly, for example, and how to weave in our ends the right way. She talked briefly to us about international crochet symbols and gave us ideas about designing our own afghans. And finally, she brough a lot of examples of her own work to show us. Talk about inspiring! If you ever have the opportunity, I would highly recommend taking a class with Melissa.

Priscilla
www.byhookorneedles.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dee,
 I love the guest writers. But the picture you put up covered the whole page practically. I would love to read the blog:) I hope your having a great time!
Sherri

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherri,
AOL Journals was acting up ... I've made the image a little smaller & hope that helps.  If not, enlarge the page to it's fullest size & it should move the image off the text.
Thanks for visiting,
~Dee