Sunday, June 12, 2005

Determination. Inspiration.

We had a quiet meeting today ... laying plans for all the crochet adventures we'll be participating in and such.  I enjoyed chatting with member Margaret Hubert -- who has lots of new designs coming out!! -- while my daughter worked on her jump rope using her "Wonder Knitter."  Was the meeting too quiet?  Was it because of the start of summer?  Whatever the reason, the group broke up about an hour early.

And it's a good thing too.  It allowed for time to walk the hospital corridors and look at some of the most fantastic art they had on display.  All the art pieces were created by cancer patients during some of their darkest, most painful points in their treatments.  There were quilts, water and oil paintings, jewelry, poetry ... and one piece that stopped me in my tracks.

I couldn't move.  Instead I was being moved by the piece.  It was a beautiful, soft and lofty looking gray shawl, beaded, and knitted -- by a woman who lost her arm due to cancer.  Yes, that's right.  This beautiful shawl was knitted by a one-armed woman who beat the odds and sees the beauty in life.  Determination.   I have thought of nothing else in the hours since seeing it.    Inspiration.  I am truly moved. 


Along that same line of thought, I want to mention that I am also moved by the many who are entered for the Free Drawing -- and the names of those loved ones that have passed on.  If you haven't already, Be sure to enter for the Free Drawing ... for details, click here.  It's for a good cause.

No comments: