Wednesday, September 29, 2004

That's my Mom. She's famous!

When you walk into a classroom of 5 and 6 year old kids, they can't help but be curious.  And when it's the parent of one of the students, then that little child's chest tends to puff out, a smile sweeps across their face, and a boast of "That's my Mom/Dad!!" goes out to the classroom.  This is your moment of knowing "You've arrived" and hold a special place in your child's heart.

This has happened to me enough times for me to recognize it -- it's a moment of connection between child and parent, and it's a moment to cherish  as I'm told that the world changes once they become teenagers.  So, this moment belonged to my son and I, and I drank it up.


What I wasn't expecting was what followed ... "She's Famous!"

Who? 
Who's famous?

I looked around the classroom and saw no one else other than the teacher.  I turned around to see if perhaps someone famous was behind me.  Nope; just the door.

My son had turned to his young friends and was exclaiming, "That's my Mom.  She's famous!"  He was proud of his Mom and wanted them all to know that he thinks I'm famous.

Really?  I am?

I certainly don't feel like I'm famous ... I do happen to know many people around the world thanks to my love of crochet and the desire to share it and learn from others as well.  So would that make me famous?

At the dinner table my son relayed the story of my visit to his class with the family -- and how he thinks I'm famous.  "Well, she is, Dad.  She travels all over and everyone knows her!  ...she's a famous crocheter!"

With that twinkle in his eye, and big smile on his face, I sure felt famous at that moment
!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww thats so sweet! Thats always a good moment and ones to cherish :)

Anonymous said...

My 10 year old is always dropping my name... online she tells everyone I'm the President of the Dust Bunny Club, and her little friends think I'm so kind of worldly wise person, and at school she tells everyone my position at work, which is really only relative to those who work with me... but again, her friends think its something special and they will come look me up at work and wave shyly from behind their parents backs.  
Its so special to be so special to your children.  Enjoy it Dee, and I hope that your daughter never out grows it.  My oldest boy hasn't and he's 20!

Anonymous said...

What a nice story...it brought tears to my eyes.  I found your site through CP of which I am a new member.

My daughter's now 20 (21 in May) and she's in college.  My story is that I was the Easter bunny in her preschool class when she was 4 years old.  She absolutely loved the Easter Bunny (who was silent), but she had no idea it was me.  About a year ago, I asked her if she remembered the Easter Bunny at her preschool.  She said yes.  I told her it was me and she was amazed because she never knew it was me.  She said she thought it might be, but she was so happy the Easter Bunny was there that she forgot about asking if it was me.  She still talks about The Easter Bunny since that day she first met her.  It's not as cute a story as yours, but it makes me feel good that I was able to bring happiness to her and to her little friends (30 of them) at her preschool.

Jet