Thursday, September 9, 2004

Let's face it, I'm a "groupie."

Let's face it, I'm a "groupie."  When I'm done writing my entry here today, there's a good chance that you may consider becoming one too.  Or perhaps you're already one, but just don't know it yet.

I decided to discuss this topic as many emails and comments in my journal all stated that they were happy to have found my journal and my website as I offer information, that I think, is or will be, helpful in our crocheting.

So the next step is to find others that enjoy crocheting too ... be it for help in finding patterns, locating local yarn shops while on vacation, looking for (or to give) cheers for projects completed, or more!

It doesn't matter if you're on the go-go-go, or if you're home bound, being a "groupie" has it's rewards.

The term "groupie" means to be an enthusiast, an aficionado.  Ah, now there's a good word to learn about today, aficionado!  This is an old Spanish word dating back to 1845 that means "a person who likes, knows about, and appreciates a usually feverently pursued interest or activity" -- like crochet!!  (Merriam-Webster dictionary.)

To me, a "groupie," or to say it with more gusto, an "aficionado" is a person that regularly posts to message boards, such as AOL's Crochet board (
Crochet Crafts ); The CGOA's Message Board ( Crochet Guild of America Message Board ); The CYCA's Forums ( Craft Yarn Council of America Phorum - - Forum List ) -- or actual online groups where your email is filled with up to a zillion emails a day (I average about 300 with the online groups I participate in.)

If there's an aspect about crochet you like, then there's bound to be a group for it.  Thread?  Irish Motifs?  Freeform?  Tunisian?  Granny Squares?  ... yes, yes, yes, yes, yes -- websites such as Yahoo! will unfold hundreds of groups (I think the last time I checked there were some 600+ groups just for crochet!)  ... and using keywords will help narrow it down.  This past fall, we even started a crochet group designed to help bring crocheters in the state of Connecticut together -- and it's growing!

If you look to the left, under the heading of Favorite Sites, you'll see that I have listed some of the groups I belong.  Two of the largest are Crochet Partners, and Spin List where there are a few thousand members.

Being a "groupie" means that you can learn from others, and if you're not shy about sharing your knowledge, then you can help pass on information too. 

Then there are the times when you get to meet a fellow "groupie" in person -- and that's a priceless experience!  Two groupie aficionados coming together to share their passion makes for very inspiring stories posted on these boards & groups -- go ahead, jump in.  The water's fine!! 

...and if you're already a "groupie" leave a comment here with the name(s) of the groups you belong -- you never know, someone else visiting today may be interested in joining your group! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great entry, I'll be checking these out soon :)