Saturday, July 21, 2007

CGOA 2007 Conference: 'we're all in it together'

At the conclusion of the Chic Street Fashion Show marked the conclusion of the Helping Handbags Silent Auction to benefit the Needle Arts Mentoring Program of the Helping Hands Foundation, Inc. (HHF).

The bags were beautiful -- and mostly created and donated by designers, such as Margaret Hubert, Prudence Mapstone, Carol Ventura, Vashti Braha, Bendy Carter, myself, and many more!

Here's some facts I found quite interesting (that's IF I did my math right!):
1. There were a total of 33 bags donated at the National Conference for this auction.  (But the numbers are not complete as there will be another Silent Auction come this fall during the Regional Conference!)
2. Karen Drouin, a new CGOA Associate Professional Member/Budding Designer, donated FIVE of them; helping raise some $280 to the cause!
3. The highest bid was for a felted purse designed by Margaret Hubert; the winning bid $500!!.
4. The second highest bid was for
a freeform bag designed by Prudence Mapstone; the winning bid was $350!!
5.  If I added correctly, approximately $2400 was raised that evening!  Of course the designers didn't do it alone -- there were many generous bidders too!   Is that great or what!?!  
Brian of Brainsbarn.com showing off his Glam-Granny Square Clutch designed by Dee6. If we add the total of the winning bids from Karen's, Margaret's, and my bag, that equals $840. All three of us are members of the Happily Hooked on Crocheting Club, Connecticut Chapter of the Crochet Guild of America. (I just thought that was another interesting fact)
7. And guess who won my bag!  Remember
the Bra from last year?  Yes -- Brian of Brainsbarn.com was the highest bidder!  He jumped right on stage and proudly showed it off to everyone!  Thanks Brian!  (Anne, are you going to borrow it from time to time? lol)
8. All during the bidding process they encouraged people to vote for their favorite bag.  They allowed the voting right up until they closed the bidding process.  Mr. Dee was a huge advocate of getting people to vote.  Now I don't know if it was because he was campaigning for me (like former Pres. Bill Clinton was doing for Hillary in the park across the street from our hotel), or if it was Lady Luck -- but I was certainly delighted to hear that entry #17 came in Second Place; I was awarded the "AWESOME" ribbon.  Rounding out the top awards was Prudence's bag, and in First was Margaret's. (Congratulations ladies!)  Of course a celebration was called for, thus the notorious "After Party."  LOL

All the auction proceeds will go to the non-profit organization HHF to help spread the needle arts all over America.  Does it get any better than that?  :)

The "After Party" was held in our hotel room complete with flowing Strawberry wine, chocolate fudge from the NH coast, crackers & cheese, and great company!  I'm not going to name names, but I will quote a few people:

"Oh, you're real! Can I touch you??!"
     "Check out my new puppies!"
           "Now that's a bit cheeky ..."
"It's a skunk, not a chipmunk!"
      "With them it's all or nothing!"
           "I'm going to surprise him with my new Clover Lites!"

Margaret has some pictures from the Fashion Show & "After Party" here.

                                  A good time was certainly had by all!  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The after party was definitely the highlight of my first conference!!  What a wonderful time!  I can't wait to find out if I can go to one next summer!?!?   Do we have an official announcement yet?  I'm really hoping for NH again - it was close enough to go even if for a short time.  I'm hoping to go for Professional Day and more classes!  (Right Lori?  and Rose?) I just can't tell you how much fun I had hanging with you Rose and Lori.  And your family is AWESOME!!!  Readers, if you ever have the pleasure of meeting Dee and her family you will be pleased to find out they are everything Dee writes about and more.  What a great job you and Mr. Dee are doing with those super kids!  And Mr. Dee is so sweet!  Thanks for posting the pics and summaries!  Looking forward to the next time we can get together!  Take care and send my love to the family!  Haley