Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Dee to put hooks down & head back to school? Say it isn't so!

After giving it much thought, I have decided it's time for me to put my hooks down and go back to school.  I have decided that since I have children that it's very important to get a Masters Degree in how to effectively open packaged toys!  I don't understand why the manufacturers need to have the toys taped down, sewn down, and wired down to cardboard with plastic molded protectors placed over the various pieces that are then taped down and then placed into a box that is also taped down with cardboard tabs that refuse to give access to it's inner contents.  Two down, a mountain more awaits my "expertise."  Eish!  Thank goodness for scissors, wire cutters and sheer luck! 

And thank goodness for the simplicity of crochet.  I mean, how difficult is it to open a skein of yarn??? 

Santa knew I was good this year and if you recall, wanted to take me out shopping to replenish my yarn stash.  I had said no to yarn but did opt for some other rather cool crochet toys. -- toys, that is, that are easy to open!  ((Hmmmmm, maybe I was rash in thinking I should give up my crocheting to pursue opening toy packages for my children.  Maybe they'd be happy just looking at the toys unopened??))

The items in the photo above are all from Lacis with the exception of the crochet hook cards. (The cards are from CafePress & while I'm mentioning them I do want to say that I'm tickled how they came through for me this year!  They really went the extra mile to ensure I got my order in time for the holidays!)   The hat frame is one of the neatest in the grouping -- it's light weight and is just beckoning me to crochet something fancy for it.  The three crochet hooks are for my collection:  a Bullion Hook, a hand carved hook from India, and a most beautiful Abalone hook.   Mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm MMMMMm!  I can't wait to take them all out on a "test drive."

The item in the far corner is a hairpin lace fork that is touted as a loop flower device.  I already have a few hairpin lace forks; I was more interested in the instructions that came with it.  It's a shame I don't know how to read Japanese, but lucky for me it comes with illustrations!  Whoohoo!  This toy is just screaming "experiment!!"  The other little gadget there is one of those doodads for coin purses.  Don't know what I'm going to use it for, but it's always fun to have items like that in your stash -- you know, in case inspiration hits.  ((Grins))

Not pictured is a book on the "Essence of Japanese Braiding," and a video that was recommended by Noreen Crone-Findlay called, "What the Bleep Do We Know?"  So it looks like if I don't opt to get that advanced degree in package opening, at least I have the option to expand my mind and my art ... and I think that's just great!

The best gift I received, or should I say "we," is that my husband had the day prior, the day of, and the day after Christmas off.  I don't recall him ever being with us for a major holiday for this length of time!  And that kind of gift is priceless!  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Dee!   I had to chuckle about your description of toys being secured in packages...what is with that???  I thought the plastic tabs that you have to CUT were bad, but guess what they've done now?  SCREWS!  I'm not kidding you!  My 18 month old son received some toddler sized firetrucks, plastic, mind you, and they were SCREWED to the cardboard within the box!  These were not expensive toys.  These were NOT Tonka!  Who's going to take them out of the box in the store?  I mean, why else would toys be secured so well in their boxes?

I couldn't believe it when I had to find a screwdriver, and a TINY one at that (!), to take a toy out of a CARDBOARD box.  I think I'll come to school with you.