Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Ranting and Raving

Never, in my wildest dreams, would I have ever thought that I would have to sensor a comic book marketed to children. But that's exactly what's necessary thanks to DC Comics.

Last year I subscribed to the comic Superman for my son as one of his Stocking Stuffers. Of all the comics that arrived in the mail throughout the year, I only (barely) approved of two issues for him to read!  In yesterday's mail was his latest issue. I flipped through the book and my jaw dropped open with a silent scream to follow. There, in the comics, was Lois Lane holding a woman's undergarment up for Superman to see. She's asking him who they belong to.

OK, I get it. In the latest issues of Superman, he and Lois are married. And at times when there is distrust in a relationship, actions and questions like that are asked. But what I don't get is how this material is relevant to a six year old, or even a reader twice his age! The news keeps reporting that sex sells -- but I don't understand why it has to be introduced to our children. Is there a realistic reason why children shouldn't be given every opportunity to enjoy their innocence??!? This just makes my blood boil! Arg!!

So, obviously I'm not going to renew his subscription. I'm going to put the comic where it belongs -- in the trash. For this years' stocking stuffer I subscribed to the magazine called Ranger Rick. (I went to magazinevalues and got the subscription for under $10 for those that may be interested.) At least this magazine is geared for children, and had a website for me to check out PRIOR to subscribing.  Never again will a DC Comic be allowed in our home.

Now that I'm done ranting, I do want to rave a bit. My husband requested I crochet him a hat using three colors (work related). But he didn't want it like a spiral hat (see image to the right). So I started it a few afternoons ago while waiting for my children in the school parking lot, and continued until late in the evening. Oh, who am I trying to kid? I finished it in the early morninghours. (lol) What resulted was a hat that was solid with one color on the outside, another solid color on the inside, with the third color as the brim. And, it's reversible! I haven't a clue as to what happened to my digital camera -- but once I locate it I'll get some pictures up.

In the meantime, I can tell you his response:  W O W !!!!
It's freezing outside today, and he took it to work.  I get to hear later if it "fits the bill" in keeping him stylishly warm.  :)

-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-

UPDATE  (12/16/04):  Robin asked which issue is the latest DC Comic that I mentioned above.  For those parents that also want to avoid it being in their child's hands:

More Info:  No. 822  Feb 05
                   "Have Superman and Superboy finally met their match?!"
                   ISBN 6194120001

                  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Which issue was this one? I want to make sure my son doesn't get it, I sometimes buy them at the magazine store for him.

Thanks

Robin