Thursday, September 9, 2010

Herbie the Amigurumi

Back in January 2005 I hinted that one day I might share Herbie, one of my very first original crochet designs -- ever! -- with you. It is hard to believe that A. it has been five years since I posted that, and B. that you all have the patients of a saint! ;)

What finally made me brush the cobwebs off my brain and bring Herbie back? I think nostalgia.

My children recently switched schools; they are now attending the same middle school I had attended as a youngster. I had a favorite teacher back then. His name was Mr. Kollar. He drove a much-loved blue VW "bug," and was a huge Yankee fan (in the time when the Yankees did not win very often!). Mr. Kollar helped bring me out of my shell; I went from being VERY shy, to gaining confidence to speak my mind.

At the end of that school year I gave Mr. Kollar a "Herbie." I recall he was surprised with my gift, and even inquired as to what it was. I told him it was my design, made by my hands; he seemed impressed. I told him it was my way of thanking him for a great year.

Recently some of my then-classmates posted some school pictures from those days (no, I'm not going to tell you who they are, or where to go looking so you can all go see at how geeky-looking I was back then! lol) -- and they also mentioned he is still teaching!! Although now he is teaching at the high school.

So, I'm thinking, wouldn't it be cool if next year my Mini~Dee has him as a teacher and SHE ends up also giving him a "Herbie" at the end of the school year? ((would he remember???)) For that, I'd love to be a fly on the wall! :)

Now you can crochet your own Herbies. They work up quick, and you can use your scrap yarns. Mini~Dee has given my Herbie her stamp of approval, stating "...they are fun to make, and work up quick!" (She made the orange one while she tested my pattern.) There you have it: Herbie: he is hard to resist befriending! :)

At the moment this pattern is only available for sale through Ravelry.com

No comments: